Defending champs’ stout defense roughs up Cowboys in final non-district matchup

Coppell High School seniors Dylan Rainbolt (left) and Kyran Jamison (right) chase after Cedar Hill junior Avery Davis during the second quarter, with a score of 13-0, the Longhorns taking the lead. The Cowboys later scored three touchdowns, but still could not beat Cedar Hill on Friday night. Photo by Amanda Hair.

By Marcus Krum
Sports Editor
@marcuskrum

The back-to-back state champion Cedar Hill Longhorns (4-0) came out looking like the team they have been for the last two years: an athletic, well-oiled machine of an offense with a hard-hitting, fast defense.

While the Cowboys (2-2) proved able to hold their own, a late comeback was quickly halted by the sheer athleticism of the Cedar Hill team, leading to a hard-fought 36-21 Coppell loss in the last non-district game.

Early on, the Coppell defense came out playing with a vengeance, looking rejuvenated after last year’s Cedar Hill team put up 61 points on the board on this defense. They forced Cedar Hill to a three-and-out on their first possession. However, after the Cowboys’ had a three-and-out of their own, the Longhorns, lead by senior quarterback Avery Davis, marched 66 yards in 9 plays to open up scoring for the game, giving them a 7-0 lead in the first quarter.

During the fourth quarter, Coppell High School freshman and free safety Jonathan McGill takes down Cedar Hill running back Joshua Fleeks while the score is 30-21, Cedar hill taking the lead over the Cowboys. The Cedar Hill Longhorns gain six more points in the fourth quarter, finalizing with a score of 36-21, leaving with a victory over Coppell on Friday. Photo by Amanda Hair.

After penalties on both offenses stalled drives and forced two punts, the Cowboys got their first first down of the game late in the first quarter. They looked to be driving, but a missed field goal kept them off the scoreboard to end the first.

In the second quarter, Davis broke free on a quarterback sneak and carried it 51 yards to the end zone to extend the Longhorns’ lead to 13-0. The Cowboys simply could not find a rhythm on the offensive side, allowing pressure to get to sophomore quarterback Brady McBride before the play could fully develop.

Cedar Hill, driving deep into Coppell territory, looked as if they were about to make it a three score game with 5 minutes left in the first half. However, a personal foul penalty on third down forced them into a fourth and long situation. A pass from Davis fell incomplete, giving the Cowboys the ball and an opportunity to make in a one touchdown game before the half.

All good teams must capitalize on any opportunity given. And capitalize they did, on a 13-play, 66 yard drive that brought the score to 7-13 with 0:43 left in the first half. However, the Longhorns took advantage of the little time that they did have left, quickly making it down the field and kicking a 44 yard field goal to again make it a two score lead.

Coppell began the second half with terrific field position, and on third down and 11 at the 21 yard line, senior wide receiver Josh Fink, who finished with 76 yards and two touchdowns on six receptions, caught his first touchdown of the day, putting the Cowboys to within two.

“We had a good game plan coming in,” Fink said. “We were going to run the ball. We obviously got some touchdowns throwing it. We moved the ball well. It was good to see, and there’s a lot to move forward with.”

On Cedar Hill’s first play of their next possession, wide receiver Jaylen Sims took a screen pass 55 yards for the score, extending their lead back to nine. Later in the third, Coppell was able to answer, scoring on a two yard touchdown pass to Fink on fourth and goal.

To start the fourth quarter, Cedar Hill slowly but surely drove down the field. Penalties and negative plays put them into a third and 25 situation, one that Coppell desperately needed a stop to keep the game alive. However, Davis hit a wide open receiver for 27 yards to extend the drive, then, three plays later, running back Marquise Forman scored on a two yard run with 5:58 remaining.

The Cowboys needed to score quickly on their next possession, but were unable to do so, turning the ball over on downs. Cedar Hill scored once more with 1:37 to essentially end the game, giving the Longhorns the 36-21 victory going into district play.

Coppell High School senior Josh Fink runs across the 30 yard line during the beginning of the third quarter, going towards the end zone for the second down with about nine minutes left in the quarter. The third quarter ended with a score of 23-14, the Longhorns taking the lead over Coppell on Friday night. Photo by Amanda Hair.

“I don’t think there’s going to need to be a ‘rebound’ to be honest with you. We played a tough non-district schedule” DeWitt  said. “The season is really made up of three seasons within itself. Non-district is the first season, and it’s over. And now district is the one that really counts. It’s the second season and every is 0-0 going into district play, and that’s really all that matters. I think we showed that we can play with just about anybody. We’ve got to get better, but I’m pleased with the first part of the season.”

Next Friday, the Cowboys face off against Hurst L.D. Bell (0-4) to begin their district portion of the season.

“It’s unfortunate that we’ve lost two games in a row,” Fink said. “We have a tough non-district schedule though. We played one of the best teams in the state tonight, and a good team from Oklahoma [last week]. Both games we fought hard and fought back, so that’s good to see. Really, now, none of that matters. We’re 0-0 going into district. We’re going to get a win against L.D. Bell.”