Casual outing or formal dance

Farah Merchant

This past weekend, Coppell hosted two of its biggest annual events, Coppell High School’s Homecoming and the St. Ann’s Carnival, in which many CHS students were faced with the decision of which event they would attend.

Coppell High School students socialize at the homecoming at Embassy Suites on Sept. 12. The 2014-2015 homecoming was Oct. 17, much later than this year. Photo by Alex Dalton.

The St. Ann’s Carnival coincided with the homecoming football game Friday night, as well as with the dance Saturday night. While there was a large timespan of when to go to the carnival, it still caused students to stress over how they would make time for homecoming festivities as well as their beloved St. Ann’s Carnival.

“I was very frustrated because I had to choose,” CHS senior Tiffany Ikhile said. “I was so torn. I didn’t t know which to go to.”

Ikhile eventually opted for neither.

For some, they had to pre-plan how they would make time for both events.

“My goal was to focus on homecoming on Saturday, the carnival on Sunday, and the homecoming game on Friday because I’m in band,” CHS freshman Abigail Hays said.

Many would have expected the attendance to drop because of other events happening simultaneously but that did not seem to be the case for many returning attendees.

“I think the attendance was about the same,” CHS sophomore and annual carnival volunteer Jessica Humen said. “Maybe a little less than usual but it was still pretty crowded. A ton of people went to the carnival instead and some even left homecoming early to attend the carnival.”

AmandaHairCarnivalSept11_9
On the first of three days at the St. Ann Carnival, a few of the many children gathered at the petting zoo interact with the animals by holding and petting them. The petting zoo consisted of chickens, ducks, rabbits, and many more. Photo by Amanda Hair.

Though many people are stressed over the choices from these events, some didn’t even realize the multitude of options that were available.

“I honestly didn’t even know the St. Ann’s Carnival was this weekend,” CHS senior Courtney Lombardo said.

Whatever the case, CHS administrators could not prevent Homecoming from clashing with the St. Ann’s Carnival.

“This community has so many options,” freshman assistant principal Anthony Poullard said. “It’s really difficult not to clash with any events.”