Stivers takes winning kill in three set victory over Burleson

By Mallorie Munoz

Managing Editor

@munoz_mallorie

With 15 wins and six losses so far this season, it came as no surprise that the Coppell Cowgirls won against the Burleson Lady Elks 25-14, 25-16, 25-20.

Although they took the win after three sets, the third set did not look favorable until the last five minutes.

Game one ended quickly with confidence felt throughout the team and audience, with the Lady Elks more than ten points behind.

By the second game it was clear that the Cowgirls could take the win after three games if they kept their performance up. With two timeouts called, and two hits to the face taken by the opposition, the Lady Elk’s discouragement was seen and the end of the match felt near.

Deciding to try a new offensive play, the Cowgirls played the third set in a 5-1 rotation, rather than the 6-2 rotation seen in the first two games. The change in plays was evident, leaving Burleson trailing one point behind Coppell for most of the set due to serve-receive errors on the Cowgirl’s part. At one point the teams flipped roles, and Coppell trailed behind Burleson.

“Offensively we are trying to do some new things, trying some new combinations” Coppell head coach Julie Green said.

Towards the end of the match, with the Cowgirls in the lead 19-17, the first timeout was called by Coppell. After this, Coppell came back and pulled out a win. Senior outside hitter Jamie Stivers took the winning kill.

“It took us a little bit of time to settle into it, but that is going to happen when you are trying something new” Green said.

In their next matchup, the Cowgirls will play the Grapvine Lady Mustangs at home on Sept. 4 at 6:30 p.m.

By Mallorie Munoz Managing Editor @munoz_mallorie With 15 wins and six losses so far this season, it came as no surprise that the Coppell Cowgirls won against the Burleson Lady Elks 25-14, 25-16, 25-20.   Although they took the win after three sets, the third set did not look favorable until the last five minutes.   Game one ended quickly with confidence felt throughout the team and audience, with the Lady Elks more than ten points behind. By the second game it was clear that the Cowgirls could take the win after three games if they kept their performance up. With two timeouts called, and two hits to the face taken by the opposition, the Lady Elk’s discouragement was seen and the end of the match felt near. Deciding to try a new offensive play, the Cowgirls played the third set in a 5-1 rotation, rather than the 6-2 rotation seen in the first two games. The change in plays was evident, leaving Burleson trailing one point behind Coppell for most of the set due to serve-receive errors on the Cowgirl’s part. At one point the teams flipped roles, and Coppell trailed behind Burleson.   “Offensively we are trying to do some new things, trying some new combinations” Coppell head coach Julie Green said. Towards the end of the match, with the Cowgirls in the lead 19-17, the first timeout was called by Coppell. After this, Coppell came back and pulled out a win. Senior outside hitter Jamie Stivers took the winning kill. “It took us a little bit of time to settle into it, but that is going to happen when you are trying something new” Green said.   In their next matchup, the Cowgirls will play the Grapvine Lady Mustangs at home on Sept. 4 at 6:30 p.m.
The Cowgirls celebrate after scoring a point against Burleson during their home game on Tuesday night. Coppell beat Burleson 25-14, 25-16, 25-20. Photo by Kelly Monaghan