New assistant principal makes move across town

By Pranathi Chitta
@prannydacheetah

There have been many new additions to Coppell High School this school year, such as the new cafeteria design, the new furniture and the ongoing construction. In addition to these enhancements, CHS has also welcomed a new assistant principal for 11th grade, Wes Vanicek.

Q: What was your job before you came to CHS?
A: I was at New Tech High@Coppell for the last five years before I came here. I was a Biotech Ethics teacher for four years and a leadership teacher for three years and I became an assistant principal for the last year as well.

Q: Why did you decide to come to CHS?
A: The benefit from this experience is transitioning from a non-traditional school to a traditional school. This expanded my leadership abilities since there are significantly more students and faculty at CHS. This is a necessary experience that has continued my career and expanded my classroom because in a

New Assistant Principal Wes Vanicek caters to students in their sophomore year whose last names corresponds H through Z after moving from New Tech High @ Coppell for five years. Photo by Alexandra Dalton.

way, teachers are like students to administrators. Fortunately, [the administration] still gets to have interactions with students at the same time and still be leaders for them as well. [I’m] just stepping out of the classroom into a little bigger one under the hopes that [I] still have a greater impact not only on the kids but also on [me].

Q: How did you prepare for this job?
A: Collaborating with my peers really helped me. I asked questions and reached out to people who have been here. I put a fresh perspective and did not assume that things should be done differently. I talked to those that who used to work here and asked for advice. Our administration here works very close as a team; we’re always bouncing ideas off each other through a group chat and constantly communicating. I immersed myself with my colleagues.

Q: How surprised were you by the amount of people at CHS?
A: I’ve been here before so I know how many students and faculty are here. But it’s a different feeling walking the halls with no responsibility and blending in with the crowd. With responsibility, you’re much more aware of what’s going on and looking for situations that need to be addressed, whether that’s a safety or behavioral concern. But for sure, it’s overwhelming the amount of humans that are in this building. I’m surprised at how efficient the students get to class at the correct time.

Q: What is one major difference from CHS and New Tech?
A: The size discrepancy is huge. In a school with less students and adults, the intensity level is kind of lower, however the same roles are necessary. I knew every single kid at New Tech– every single one– and I knew something about them and I could talk to each one of them. I strive to be able to do that here and make it my goal to know as many students as I can.

Q: What is your most important job as being an assistant principal at CHS?
A: The number one job is that the kids are safe. It is my job to make sure the students are mentally, emotionally and physically safe to be here at school. But at the same time, to be able to do that is to build relationships and get to know students and help them out. So by large, the students’ safety is the number one concern.