Softball season ends but a lot of promise for next year

Dominic DeCello

@decelloballer21

The Coppell Cowgirls softball season ended this past weekend the girls fought a hard game against the Lady Panthers of Midlothian but came up short in a 19-11 loss. The girls had a great season placing second in District 7-6A and had an overall record of 10-11-1 and a District 7-6A record of 9-4.

The Cowgirls started off slow but really picked it up late and had a great success in district this year.

The Cowgirls started off the season slow in nondistrict games posting a record of just 1-5-1 but with a team with no seniors the girls struggled early to find leadership and get things going in the right direction with many first year varsity players.

Once district started the Cowgirls defense and pitching started to pick up and the cowgirls finished 4-3 halfway through district. But the second half is really when the Cowgirls got it together all over the field and really started to play well.

Going into the final game of the season the Cowgirls were in a three way tie for second and playing a talented Haltom team who was one of the teams tied. Haltom had beaten the Cowgirls early in the season so this would be a very tough game well the Cowgirls came out hot putting up 16 runs against Haltom and winning the three way tie which is how the girls earned second place in tough district 7-6A.

The Cowgirls had zero seniors on roster this year so they will be fully reloaded next year and with improvement over the summer the Cowgirls will be a mighty dangerous team in the 2016 season.

The Cowgirls were lead in hitting by sophomore catcher Madi Tarver who lead the team in batting average with an outstanding .476 average. Junior outfielder Julia Sircar had a .469 average and lead the team in RBIs with 23. Other outfielders junior Ali Gentry and sophomore Mia Hermans also had averages over .400 and had good years hitting.

The Cowgirls were lead in pitching by sophomore Rachel Sheffield and freshman Carolyn Estrada. Sheffield had a really great year this year receiving the majority of the pitching load pitching a total of 55 innings. She had a team leading 4.07 earned run average and showed a lot of promise for the next two years with Sheffield only being a sophomore.