Former CHS alum McDaniel gets shot with Dallas Cowboys, furthers football career

By Alex Nicoll
Editor-in-Chief
@NicollMac

CHS and University of Notre Dame alum Cam McDaniel participates in a hand-off drill during the Dallas Cowboys rookie minicamp on Friday, May 8. McDaniel was invited to the camp to tryout after going undrafted last weekend in the 2015 NFL Draft. Photo by Marilyn Clark.
CHS and University of Notre Dame alum Cam McDaniel (23) participates in a hand-off drill during the Dallas Cowboys rookie minicamp on Friday, May 8. McDaniel was invited to the camp to tryout after going undrafted last weekend in the 2015 NFL Draft. Photo by Marilyn Clark.

IRVING – One week removed from the 2015 NFL Draft, draftees, free agents and tryouts alike reported to the Dallas Cowboys headquarters in Valley Ranch for the rookie minicamp.

Among these rookies and first-year players is 2011 Coppell High School graduate Cam McDaniel. McDaniel, an undrafted rookie invited to the camp, played at the University of Notre Dame and finished his career with 1,117 yards and eight touchdowns.

Between practices, McDaniel discussed his feelings on not being drafted, getting a chance to play for his hometown team and playing with one-month-old daughter, Emori, at home.

Going undrafted to being invited to one of the top teams in the NFL, what has that process been like?

Going undrafted was really disappointing. I feel that I was a player capable of being drafted. I feel like I am going to add value to the team that I’m a part of. For me I know that being a Dallas Cowboys is a tremendous honor and just the opportunity to be invited to the minicamp is fantastic and there are no free rides. I am excited about it and I just want to take advantage of the opportunity.

You mentioned you felt you should have been drafted. You’re posted three-cone drill time of 6.78 seconds at the Notre Dame Pro Day was faster than anyone at the combine so you have the skills. How do you think you measure up against the other running backs at the minicamp?

I haven’t really had a chance to look at all of them but going through the drills with them today I think it’s a highly-competitive environment and the [Cowboys] did that on purpose. Obviously everyone here has some serious skill because if they didn’t they wouldn’t be here. I’m looking forward to getting the opportunity to compete with these guys and potentially win a spot.*

*Other running backs include: Synjyn Davis, B.J. Catalon, Keshawn Hill, Desmond Roland and Kenny Williams

How did Coppell High School prepare you for where you are now?

My experience in high school for one, DFW being one of the most competitive areas in the state, was something that allowed me to compete at a high level from the time I stepped into varsity football. I was coached well, I had a great offensive mind my sophomore year with Coach [Bob] Shipley and when Coach [Joe] McBride stepped in, he taught me the added value of toughness and just having a very physical mind set when running the ball and just being able to make plays. There were a lot of times where he wanted to get me the ball because he knew I was a winner. That gave me the confidence to know that I am accountable player to my team and that I have capabilities to make a serious difference on my team now and the teams I play with in the future.

What do you think you have to prove to the organization to deserve a chance for a contract and a shot at training camp in the summer?

Jason Garrett was talking the other day about adversity and how it is pretty much everywhere in the NFL. You’ll find it around every corner. I think that he is correct with that. I’m a guy who has been able to overcome adversity my entire life no matter the circumstances whether I’m overlooked, whether I don’t fit the “mold” whatever that may be, I’m going to show that I am a winner and that I am a competitor. To me that is the most important thing and to show people that I want to be a part of a championship football team. I want to win a Super Bowl. I’m the type of player that can bring that winning culture, that grit to a football team.

What’s it like to be a first-time dad?

Things have happened fast. My wife and I have been tremendously blessed and being a father has been awesome. I’m developing some new sleep patterns but at the same time, every time I wake up and I see her there I’m just like “Wow you are so amazing, I can’t believe that you’re just you”. It blows my mind every time. I absolutely love her to death.

Why the Cowboys?

This is a team that could fit my mold as a player at the running back position. There are opportunities on special teams and I feel like I can fit both those roles. I’m a diverse player and have the capabilities to do a lot of things.

Is it intimidating coming into a pro situation?

I don’t think intimidating is the right word, but there is definitely a heightened sense of awareness to this is the pinnacle. This is the pinnacle of literally everything I have worked towards as a kid, all my dreams, coming to this point. This is the tip of the iceberg, this where the cream of the crop is. My whole life everybody has talked to me about statistics. Only such-and-such of high school athletes go to college, only such-and-such percentage of kids go to a Division I college, only such-and-such people it make it to the NFL and they are such small margins. I don’t see myself as a regular statistic, I see myself as an outlier.

Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett on Cam McDaniel

What are your thoughts on Cam McDaniel?

We’ll see. We had [McDaniel] out for the Dallas Day and he’s certainly a good athlete and it looks that he has a good feel for playing. It looked like he had a good morning.

Quite a few tryout players this year come from the DFW area. Do you look for local talent or was it just a coincidence this year?

There are a lot of good football players in this area. It makes sense. Our personnel people know these guys and follow them, in many cases, from high school, college to all the way through. When you are trying to give a guy a tryout opportunity we always start there; if there is a local guy that we like we certainly want to give them a chance and there are a lot of guys this year that we really like.