Getting to know Marcus Mitchell

Chisom Ukoha
Staff writer
@uchisom3

It was the first track meet of Marcus Mitchell’s sophomore season and the most competitive one. He was only eight inches off the record freshman year and hoped that his hard work had paid off. His first jump goes well and they mark it at 44′ 5″. It was his new personal record, but his second jump, is where history was made.

“I look back in the sand, I know it’s a new record before they even mark it,” Senior Marcus Mitchell said. “The man shouts 44′ 10″. Jumping around in excitement, friends and coaches congratulate me on a new school record. One of the proudest moments in my track career.”

Senior long jumper, triple jumper and hurdler Marcus Mitchell is an extremely talented, skilled and hardworking athlete, who is known by many to be a star track athlete and has already received multiple track offers from schools.

Senior track athlete Marcus Mitchell competes in the Varsity Boys 110m High Hurdles during the CFB ISD Relays at Standridge Stadium on Friday, March 20. Mitchell also competed in the Varsity Boys Triple Jump and the Varsity Boys Long Jump.
Senior track athlete Marcus Mitchell competes in the Varsity Boys 110m High Hurdles during the CFB ISD Relays at Standridge Stadium on Friday, March 20. Mitchell also competed in the Varsity Boys Triple Jump and the Varsity Boys Long Jump. Photo by Sarah VanderPol.

“Marcus does Marcus,” junior varsity track hurdler Allen Slette.  “There is no other way to describe what he does and no one can do it like him, he just does Marcus.”

Mitchell, star track & field athlete, is a senior at New Tech@Coppell. Like many other track athletes, Mitchell started track & field when he was in seventh  grade. Initially, he joined to get out of having to participate in spring offseason.

He participated in hurdles, long jump and triple jump when he started, because his middle school coach, [Kristi] Walthall believed his long legs were an advantage. Track and field started to grow on him, until he started to love it.  By the end of seventh grade, he had already improved dramatically and started placing in meets.

His middle school days were only the beginning on his path to success.

“Marcus is blessed with a great jumping ability,” Coppell track & field coach Karl Pointer said. “I have seen a few jumpers that are able to be as natural as he is, and with his work ethic I think, really, the sky is his limit.”

For the Cowboys, Mitchell participates in the 110 hurdles, 300 hurdles, long jump and triple jump.Mitchell’s favorite event is the triple jump.

“Long jump is enjoyable, but it’s not my calling,” Mitchell said. “Triple jump I like because you have three good consistent jumps to get a good scores, unlike long jump where you run fast and throw yourself up there. Basically, triple jump is more technique.”

Triple jump is Mitchell’s strongest event, having broke the school record for triple jump three times. He now holds the record at 48 feet 5 inches.

As of now Marcus is working on improving his strength for future track meets.

“The biggest area in which Marcus can improve in is the area he is focusing on right now, getting stronger,” Pointer said. “Everyone thinks that track athletes don’t have to be in the weightroom and lift weights, but the truth is that’s how you get stronger and faster and jump higher.”

Mitchell has already started to receive offers from colleges, with his top choices being the University of Oklahoma and University of Arkansas.

“Marcus is a great young man and has a lot of talent in him and has a great future ahead of him,” Pointer said. “There are already a couple schools looking at him, to come run track with them. The future is his.”