The Talent Show ends up a success

Chisom Ukoha
Staff writer
@uchisom3

Pablo romo plays the piano saturday night during the talent show. Romo wows the crowd with his talent and great song choice. Photo By Chelsea Banks

Choir Director Josh Brown and choir assistant Casey Carruth assigned senior emcee Jack Sullivan and the other two people he was auditioning with different jungle animals. The two others were assigned to be a sloth and piranha, while Sullivan ack was assigned a jaguar.

They were told that for 30 seconds, the had to imitate those animals and interact with each other. Slinking around on the floor and pulling the sloth down from the suit of armor he was clinging to and swatting the piranha out of the ‘water’ that she was swimming, Sullivan ended up hunting both of them.

On Jan. 23-24, the talent show took place in the Coppell High School auditorium. Numerous acts took place which were all well received by the audience. Stand out performances included CHS junior Haven Chung who played “When You Look Me In The Eyes” by the Jonas Brothers on the piano with his own twist on it, slowing it down and lowering the keys to make it more intimate.

Not only that, but the emcees kept the audience captivated with their transitions between the performances and hosting the talent show.

The contestants in the talent show were unique. One of them was the bollywood dancing done by junior Sanskriti Agarwal and her group of three, juniors Uma Chavali and Ankita Dere. Although Agarwal and her group have done multiple performances, she said that the talent show was an unique experience for her.

“There was a point where we were about to drop the idea of performing for talent show, but the our competitors urged us to continue and thus, we gave an enjoyable performance,” Agarwal said.

Agarwal said choreographing the dance wasn’t the hard part, but being in sync and getting all the small parts down.

Junior Victoria Kennedy said she was nervous about her singing solo “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles, as she normally sings with Respira.

“Throughout the entire show I stayed backstage and there was this nervous excited energy that everyone had,” Kennedy said. “I was very nervous to sing because it was my first time singing by myself in front of a crowd and I was afraid of messing up the song and having a huge voice crack.”

Kennedy who had already memorized the song “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles had practiced for a week to get her tone correct. During the show she hit an extremely long high note, which made the crowd erupt in applause during her song and got her second place in the competition.

Junior Adreesh Roy and his band Flood the Walls are not shy when it comes to performing, as this is their second time playing at the annual talent show.

“Well, it wasn’t that scary, I’ve been performing with the band for a while now and playing shows like these are pretty regular,” Roy said.

Flood the Walls had to have senior from Jesuit High School, Michael White, sub in as drummer for Roy’s little brother Chico, who injured his wrist.

“We practiced a lot; two hours every Saturday and Sunday starting Christmas,” Roy said. “Every song that we played needed serious cleaning when we played them in December and we had to work extra hard to make them sound good. And coming up with a song starts off as a jam session with each person in the band just adding on to each other’s parts. Then come the lyrics.”

A Coppell High School club by the name of Aircrew wows the crowd Saturday night during the talent show. Photo By: Chelsea Banks

Overall the talent show was well received by the audience. Air Crew had the crowd going crazy. The Acapella group won first place. But it was the student emcees who had a large part in making the talent show as entertaining for the audience as it was.

“Being an emcee was a great experience,” Sullivan said. “It was really cool to see just how much work goes into the talent show behind the scenes and to take an active role in that process. We all had a lot of fun coming up with our skits and performing them during the show, and if I had the chance I’d gladly do it again.”