Update: Board of Trustees Meeting on Dec. 15, 2014

KCBY-TV+advisor+Irma+Kennedy+speaks+of+the+crews+hard+work+and+dedication+as+senior+Program+Directors+Michael+Butzer+and+Hailey+Hess+receive+recognition+for+winning+sixth+place+in+Best+of+Show+for+broadcast+by+the+NSPA+at+the+CISD+Board+of+Trustees+meeting+on+Dec.+15.+
KCBY-TV advisor Irma Kennedy speaks of the crew’s hard work and dedication as senior Program Directors Michael Butzer and Hailey Hess receive recognition for winning sixth place in Best of Show for broadcast by the NSPA at the CISD Board of Trustees meeting on Dec. 15.

By Allie Arnold
student life editor
@_alliearnold

KCBY-TV advisor Irma Kennedy speaks of the crew's hard work and dedication as senior Program Directors Michael Butzer and Hailey Hess receive recognition for winning sixth place in Best of Show for broadcast by the NSPA at the CISD Board of Trustees meeting on Dec. 15.

Before discussing topics and issues the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees cover at its usual meetings, Coppell High School’s Round-Up yearbook, The Sidekick newspaper and KCBY-TV all received recognition for winning prestigious awards in national journalism competitions.

President of the Board of Trustees, Anthony Hill, presented the leaders of each group with a congratulatory certificate as well as allowing them to speak to the board and audience. Round-Up adviser Sallyanne Harris, The Sidekick adviser Chase Wofford and KCBY adviser Irma Kennedy also said a few words about their students and their hard work which all of them had nothing but praise to give to each staff.

“If [these students] had been at the High School for as long as I have, they wouldn’t believe the progress that has been made [in KCBY] over the years, and because of that I am so proud,” Kennedy said.

Coppell Student Media, which features the works of The Sidekick and KCBY, was recognized for placing third in Best of Show in Publication Website by the National Scholastic Press Association at its national convention in Washington D.C. last month. Senior editor-in-chief Alex Nicoll, senior managing editor Jena Seidemann and senior enterprise editor Kara Hallam accepted the certificates on behalf of the staff.

KCBY was also recognized for being awarded sixth in Best of Show for Broadcast by the NSPA. Senior Program Directors Michael Butzer and Hailey Hess accepted the honor on behalf of the entire crew.

The Round-Up staff received a gold medal from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association for its product last year because of its excellence in design and photography. Seniors Caroline Boynton (editor-in-chief), Julia Olson (clubs and academics editor), Leah Witham (former student life editor) and Maggie Hohfeler (people editor) represented their staff as they proudly accepted their certificates as well.

Board discusses possible middle school soccer programs

Coppell ISD Athletics Director John Crawford discussed the pros and cons of implementing middle school soccer, saying it could potentially either help Coppell High School’s soccer program if students began training for it at an earlier age or it could hurt the program if some of the more skilled and competitive players quit due to the fact that their teammates and opponents are not on that same skill level.

The board concluded it would gather more information and opinions about the topic to discuss again in further detail at the next meeting in January.