Art students prepare for VASE

By Julia Kim

The regional chapter for VASE (Visual Arts Scholastic Event) will take place on Sat., Feb. 6 at Mesquite High School. Students at CHS were required to submit their entry forms by Jan. 6, so teachers were enabled time to register their students electronically. By Jan. 25, students must decide on the title, classification, and medium.

Each student is only permitted to submit up to two works at the cost of $10 each. The artwork cannot be any larger than the dimensions of 24×36 and must be properly prepared for display.

At this competition, students are have the opportunity to compete against other art students at similar levels. There are a total of four divisions categorized by the amount of art credits obtained by the student.

Every individual is interviewed by a juror who evaluates the student’s work based on a rubric and their understanding of the processes behind the development of their artwork. If a student receives the highest rating of a four, he/she may be invited to the state VASE competition.

For more information on this event, click here.