Construction has its perks

Video by Abby Green and Marilyn Clark.

By Joseph Krum
@joseph_krum

If you walked through the hallways at Coppell High School, you would probably hear at least one complaint about the construction of the field house or basketball arena.

Yet for all the trouble, it is definitely going to be worth it.

The construction all started by a bond package passed in May 2013. Out of the $79.5 million that was used throughout Coppell ISD, CHS got $27.1 million for its kitchen/cafe renovation, multi-purpose competition gym/arena and expansion/renovation of the athletic field house. Both the construction of the field house and multi-purpose competition arena have caused some troubles by blocking off parts of the parking lots, yet they add more benefits than they cause harm.

The field house construction, which will include two levels and a full 120 yard turf room, is part of the three renovations going on at Coppell High School. It will include many more new additions such as new workout rooms for all of the different sports and will also entail more meeting rooms and coach offices. Yet with all these new introductions comes lots of construction, which had the parent loop blocked off for a good portion of the summer.

The construction of the field house, started last summer, is a big part of the $27.1 billion Coppell High School received.

Although the construction has been a hassle for the many student and parent drivers, the additions will supply much more good than they take away with the blocking off of the roads. For example, each and every sport will have better facilities to use, which in turn could improve their performance and make the athletics at CHS better as a whole. The improved weight rooms and separate facilities for each sport will allow more room for the activities to be held so that the students will not be as limited in space.

Luckily, the parent loop opened up before school started, allowing one of the main drop-off loops to be accessible for parents who can drop off their kids and for teachers who can park there.

As for the construction on the new gym, this one has a little more controversy. Because of its location next to the school, the construction has to be blocked off well into the senior parking areas, which in turn moves the seniors back which also moves the general parking back. Also, since the construction stops right at the pathway that goes all the way through the parking lot, there are some sharp turns that are necessary to maneuver through the busy site.

Another one of the downfalls, which goes for any new additions, is the seniors that will not be able to use the facilities. The construction will not be finished for the end of this school year so the seniors will have gone off to college by the time that these projects will be done.

Still, all the hassles do not offset the benefits that the new construction will bring forth. The multi-purpose gymnasium will be immensely expanded with new seating and even a scoreboard above the court. With the new arrangements, sports that are played on these courts will benefit greatly from not only ticket sales but the added amount of storage as well. One other big improvement is the wrap-around seating. The seats now run completely around the gym, rather than the previous setup with bleachers on each side.

Sports will not be the only thing that is benefited by these add-ons. For example, pep-rallies will be immensely improved with the additional seating, so students will not have to sit on the gym floor. The facility will also have the space to accommodate all classes, including freshmen. It will also help any class or activity that is held in the gym. From science fairs to dance class, almost every single student will benefit from the new renovations.

All in all, the new projects that Coppell High School is carrying out can add some stress in your frantic struggle to find a parking spot before school, but the advancements yet to come greatly outweigh all of the annoyances.

More information about the bond and maps for the new facilities can be found at http://www.coppellisd.com/bond2013 .