• Coppell ISD is on summer break. Classes resume Aug. 15

Coppell ISD expands 1:1 initiative to middle, elementary schools

Sophomores Briauna Butler and Lara Collins work together in Mrs. Leyendecker's U.S. history class by using their iPads to help them label an assignment. Photo by Chelsea Banks

By Chloe Moino
@_chloechristine

Coppell ISD middle schools and a portion of the elementary schools are moving toward an education similar to what Coppell High School and New Tech [email protected] are providing their kids with: learning with the support of technology.

With the 1:1 iPad Initiative, CISD is now issuing iPads to every learner at Coppell Middle School East, North and West, and also to the fourth and fifth graders at Austin Elementary, Richard J. Lee Elementary and Valley Ranch Elementary.

This initiative began six years ago with the opening of New Tech [email protected], when all students received a MacBook laptop. Then in 2011, CISD launched the program “Bring Your Own Device” for teachers and students.

Sophomores Briauna Butler and Lara Collins work together in Mrs. Leyendecker’s U.S. history class by using their iPads to help them label an assignment. Photo by Chelsea Banks

Building on the experiences of these programs, the 1:1 initiative began to expand further throughout the district. CHS learners were issued iPads, laptops were provided to eighth graders in the iWest Blending Learning pilot program and fourth and fifth graders were also given iPads at Cottonwood Creek and Wilson Elementary.

CISD Chief Technology Officer Dr. Sam Farsaii is excited for this initiative to expand to the other schools.

“The long term vision has been for all CISD learners to have access to the tools of technology and to use those tools in learning and communication,” Farsaii said. “Overall this has been a successful implementation.”

Farsaii said the district is in the process of equitably providing all elementary schools with additional iPads.

CHS learners were the first to benefit from the operation. CISD is taking what it learned from the CHS rollout last year to establish distribution of iPads to other district campuses.

“Educators have completed a required Information literacy course at the start of the school year that will help them to guide their learners to understand and apply online research skills,” Farsaii said. “A companion parent course will also be offered.”

A continued emphasis is placed on the development of rich digital literacy resources through the work of district instructional teams guide. The district’s “Responsible Use for Technology Resources” (formerly known as the Acceptable Use Policy) has been updated. The new instructional technology website includes access to online learning opportunities, FAQs, videos and other helpful resources for parents.

“With additional staff and student training coupled with Responsible Use policies and further management and control, we hope for CHS to become a model for other districts to replicate,” Farsaii said.

Included improvements include:

The CISD Internet filtering system is being upgraded to differentiate available content by the high school, middle school and elementary level.

The CISD Internet filter will now go beyond the walls of the school. Anytime the Internet is accessed on a CISD issued iPad off-campus, the access will go through the CISD filter.

If an app is loaded on an iPad that does not follow the Responsible Use Policy for Technology, the learner will be asked to remove it. If the violation persists the campus can lock the device and/or take disciplinary action.

Middle school educators have been engaging in professional learning with a focus on technology use in the classroom and will continue this training in order to prepare engaging lessons using iPads.

A new instructional technology website, currently under development, will include access to online learning opportunities, FAQs, videos and other helpful resources for parents, students and staff.

To collect the data used to evaluate the success, CISD will conduct an external Technology Audit which is due in late October.

“Triangulation of data from student, parent and staff surveys and focus group feedback from students, teachers, parents and administrators have helped address this initiative,” Farsaii said.

Valley Ranch Elementary Principal Cynthia Arterbery is excited and prepared for this initiative to take place at her school.

“The 1:1 Initiative is going to help the kids integrate technology with their day-to-day learning and researching while allowing them to collaborate,” Arterbery said. “This will help a great deal.”

Arterbery also said how they have received a great amount of parental support for this initiative.

“We met with the parents back in the spring about 1:1 and will also be sending them a survey soon to get feedback about the initiative,” Arterbery said.

There is always a concern with younger kids handling technology, and if they will act appropriately and responsibly with their devices. But, Arterbery says this should not be an issue.

“We have strategically planned and designed lessons to incorporate the technology responsibly and to also balance it out. We don’t use the technology 100% of the time. We’ve taught our kids how to correctly use certain softwares and apps and they know when to use them,” Arterbery said.

Middle school devices will be distributed to eighth grade students as follows: CMS West the week of Oct. 27, CMS North the week of Nov. 3, CMS East the week of Nov. 10. The seventh grade distribution will start Dec. 1 while sixth grade starts at the end of January.

The selected elementary schools are receiving iPads in phases. The first phase was in August, and the next phase will be in December and January. The decision for a staggered and late start was made during this past summer in order to provide sufficient time for staff to continue their training with the device and to develop integrated lessons for the learners to use the iPads to their full potential.