Mylar, Mayes family bond over son’s connection companionship

By Jena Seidemann
managing editor
@jena_seidemann

Juniors Jake Mayes and Jake Mylar, two unlikely friends, were brought together by fate. One son was meant to be the peer tutor and the other the peer.

Instead, they became best friends, and their families formed a tight-knit bond that will endure for years.

When Mylar was born with Down syndrome, his family worried if he would ever have a normal life. However, they never anticipated such a great friendship from their circumstance.

Their friendship was almost not possible if Mylar had not moved schools.

“There was no Special Ed program at Coppell Middle School West, so he was moved to East without us knowing,” Mylar’s mother Pat Mylar said. “At first we were upset, but it turned out to be a Godsend.”

To become Mylar’s peer tutor, Coppell Middle School East Principal Laura Springer interviewed numerous students to find the perfect fit, cue Jake Mayes.

“[Springer] said God put it on her heart,” Mayes’ father Gary Mayes said. “We were like ‘huh, we need to pursue this then.’”

The families were introduced by Coppell Middle School East principal Laura Springer in eighth grade. They are celebrating Christina Mylar's birthday at the Mylar house. Photo by Chelsea Banks.
The Mylar and Mayes families were introduced by Coppell Middle School East Principal Laura Springer in eighth grade. They celebrated Christina Mylar’s birthday at the Mylar house on Sept. 20. Photo by Chelsea Banks.

She knew the two would be special. Alone they were good, but together, they would be great. From eighth grade on, the two were paired up and it blossomed from there.

“I told Pat ‘lets reach out to [Springer] and let her know what going on’ because Laura did not know the two families had become such good friends and spent so much time together,” Jake Mylar’s father Mike Mylar said. “The Jakes and all of us are close. It was a great fit. We want Laura to know what she has started.”

Although many people know about the bond of the two boys, it is their families that have become one. Two years ago, the families met at the charity basketball game for DeLana Attaway, a Coppell Middle School North teacher that was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma brain cancer. As soon as they met each other, they clicked.

“I’ll always remember going to the basketball game for Mrs. Attaway when she had cancer,” Mayes’ sister, 2014 CHS graduate Michelle Mayes, said. “I had never really met [Mylar] nor had I met Mrs. Mylar. [Mylar] came over to us and we were able to talk to him and Mayes, my Jake, came over and put his arm around my mom. He said ‘Jake this is my mom,’ and [Mylar] went to get his mom and put his arms around Pat and said ‘this is my mom.’

The family dynamic is very casual and relaxed yet the bond is unbreakable. It does not matter if it is not a special occasion; any occasion is an occasion to spend time together.

“We loved them right away, just because they were so enthusiastic about our boy,” Mrs. Mylar said. The whole family loves him; The Jakes are just amazing to watch.”

In the years that their relationship has bloomed, the family has spent countless hours together whether they be cheering on Mylar at his sporting event or celebrating family get togethers, they are always there for one another.

“Our families have merged,” Pat said. “As a matter of fact, I drove down to Huntsville with Susie Mayes because it was Michelle’s Birthday. Christina drove from [Texas A&M University] to Huntsville so we could all celebrate together.”

As an only child, Mrs. Mayes is glad her children have their own siblings and then some. The trust goes so far that the Mayes and Mylar are emergency contacts for each other. However, one of the most rewarding things for both families is to see the boy’s relationship grow.

“Mayes and Mylar have a genuine love for each other and it comes totally from God,” Mr. Mayes said. “There is no way to explain it.”

Mylar has given Mayes a sense of direction in life. He also keeps him grounded.

“Jake keeps him passionate about it,” Mrs. Mayes said. “He reminds him how much everyday he wants to follow his passion and be a middle school coach and a special needs teacher. I can not image Mayes without Mylar.”

For the Mylar family, Jake and the entire Mayes family have been a blessing.

“[Mayes] asked if he could Jake out and hang out over the summer,” Jake’s sister and 2013 New Tech High @ Coppell graduate Christina Mayes said. “We were like ‘Dude of course you can.’ No one really asked that and that made him really sad and that was really sweet to see. He came over all the time and just took him out during the simmer. No one has everything done anything like that for [Mylar].

To Christina, who fiercely loves her younger brother, the intangibles are what impress her most when it comes to Jake.

“There are so many good things about Jake Mayes,” Christina said. “He is sweet and funny and athletic: the whole package and the best thing about him is how he treats my brother. No one has ever done that for Jake.”

In order to spend more time with his friend, Mayes gave up football, and whenever an issue is pressing on his heart, he takes Mylar out and spends time with him.

“Mylar gives back to Mayes,” Mike said. “When Mayes is struggling with an important issue, he will actually pick up Jake and hang out, which is really cool. He was debating whether or not to quite football which is a big decision in this town. He actually took Jake when he told the coaches. Quitting football would give him more time with [Mylar].”