FUMC celebrates 135th anniversary by serving the community

By Kara Hallam

enterprise editor

@KaraHallam

The Coppell First United Methodist Church celebrated its 135th year anniversary with a mass community service event this past weekend. “Mission Possible” included 30 volunteer opportunities and revived the church’s founding principles of service.

In September 1879, the Coppell FUMC was founded by a group of families and built on property owned by J.M. Stringfellow. As the first church in the Coppell area, the congregation has set out to aid the community ever since its origin.

This past weekend the Coppell First United Methodist Church celebrated its 135th year anniversary by hosting a mass community service event. Photo by Kara Hallam.

“We just thought it would be a good idea to reconnect with our roots and serve this community this weekend,” Senior Pastor Dr. Tom Palmer said. “FUMC was the first church in the community before Coppell was even a city. This church has been serving this community for 135 years.”

The event began Sept. 20 and lasted from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Donation opportunities were available throughout the whole weekend.

“We want to go out and help, but also build relationships, because the most important thing is that this community becomes a warmer, friendlier community,” Palmer said.

Projects included home repairs for impoverished families, Stringfellow garden improvement, and park cleans-ups at the Andy Brown parks and the biodiversity center. Church members also visited the retirement village, made care packages for Coppell law and safety enforcement, participated in a  blood drive, an organ donation register and donated food and clothing.

“This day is simply an expression of who we are as Methodists, our church got its start based upon serving God and our neighbors,” Associate Pastor Bill Eason said. “Serving others is just an expression of who we are. I am expecting a lot of excitement to outpour into the community.”

Donation bins could be found throughout the church for various charities, and Carter BloodCare and Donate Life set up stations at the church.

“The city has been very cooperative and it’s just that kind of community. Virtually everyone we’ve partnered with was just [as] delighted to work with us because the goal is the same for everyone; a better community,” Palmer said.

Church members signed up on the FUMC website and promptly arrived the day of to pick up their Mission Possible t-shirts and began to serve their community.  Participants ranged from young to old, including Coppell High School senior Brittany Ellinger.

“FUMC to me is a family that can help you through anything and is a base support group that I can rely on,” Ellinger said.

Like many others in her age group, Ellinger participated in home repairs and a FUMC barbecue.  Her sentiment is shared by Palmer’s son Jacob who joined the church when his father started working for FUMC in July 2013.

“[FUMC’s] a  community of love that’s raised me up and made me who I am today. This church has been incredibly welcoming to us,” Jacob said.

Although new to the church, the Palmer family has been welcomed with open arms and is thrilled to be a part of this new community.

“Coming into a community is often like drinking from a firehouse. It is wonderful but there’s a lot to assimilate to, but it’s been great to get know people in the city. It is a wonderful community to live in and we have just been exploring how we can better fulfill our mission,” Palmer said.

The community’s kindness is something that church members keep in their hearts as they set out to make a difference on their anniversary.

“It’s helping other people and it’s a good thing to do,” New Tech @ Coppell sophomore Duncan Skyles said.

The weekend concluded with a special worship service and barbecue after hours of hard work. Church members bonded over their success and concluded the celebration of the 135th year anniversary.

With its mission renewed and the Coppell community enhanced, FUMC now eagerly awaits the completion of their new ministry across the street from the main church building.