11 special four year journalists bid farewell to D115

The+2013-2014+The+Sidekick+newspaper+staff+includes+19+seniors.+11+of+them+have+made+D115+their+home+away+from+home+all+four+years+of+their+high+school+careers+and+will+be+bidding+goodbye+to+the+newsroom+soon+as+graduation+nears.+Photo+by+Nicole+Messer.+
    The 2013-2014 The Sidekick newspaper staff includes 19 seniors. 11 of them have made D115 their home away from home all four years of their high school careers and will be bidding goodbye to the newsroom soon as graduation nears. Photo by Nicole Messer.

By Tuulia Koponen

The Sidekick newspaper adviser Chase Wofford says this time of year he does not get sappy.

“I am excited for what is ahead,” Wofford said. “I have had these [11 graduating seniors] for four years. I am excited for what lies ahead for them.”

Wofford deems the students he has had the fortunate chance to get to know all four years of their high school careers have ran their courses on The Sidekick newspaper, and it is time for them to look forward to the new opportunities college will open them up to.

However, while he always looks forward to the new group of students that will represent The Sidekick staff the following year, he knows he will miss these 11 graduating seniors such as graduating sports editor, John Loop, who Wofford had the chance to see grow right in front of his eyes all four years of Loop’s high school career.

Loop knew ever since eighth grade he wanted to be just like the sports reporters he saw on television. He joined the Emerging Media and Communications (EMAC) Academy his freshman year to get a step closer to achieving this dream and stuck with it throughout high school as well as sticking with the ever-changing field of journalism.

“I would say the most important thing I have learned through being on The Sidekick is that ‘a deadline is a deadline,’” Loop said. “While I have not been the best in meeting deadlines, seeing my progression throughout my years on The Sidekick has aided me in preparing for college and dealing with the deadlines I am going to face there.”

Loop also commented he will always stick with sports – whether it be through journalism, public relations, or something completely different.

“I am going to enter college with a career in the journalism field in mind,” Loop said. “However, if that fails, I will go into public relations. But, no matter what, I will always remain with sports, you can count on that.”

Also planning on going into the public relations field is senior staff writer Annie Wen. Wen entered high school with her dream set-to be a lawyer. Her mom prompted her to take the journalism class her freshman year though to earn the writing skills necessary to be a successful lawyer.

“I got one of those recruiting emails from Mr. Wofford halfway through the school year my freshman year saying that I should apply for The Sidekick,” Annie said. “So, I decided to apply and here I am.”

Wen determines that the most important thing she is taking away from being on The Sidekick staff is that second chances are always valid and probable.

“I learned [through being on The Sidekick], that people are forgiving and second chances are real and do exist,” Wen said. “I also learned that I work the best when I put pressure on myself to get my work done.”

Editor-in-chief Kristen Shepard remembers reading the newspaper in the eighth grade and being completely awestruck at the possibility of being involved in something that in her eyes seemed so wonderful and great.

“I have always loved to write and the possibility of combining the excitement I had towards the paper and my love towards writing prompted me to join The Sidekick,” Shepard said. “I have learned how to conduct myself professionally, and while I will not be pursuing a career in the journalism field, it will be a valuable asset to carry me throughout college and my future career knowing how to respect adults and professionals.”

Shepard also recalls she will miss the relationships she has formed while being on staff, but is looking forward to what the next year’s The Sidekick staff will produce.

“The underclassmen on staff have so much promise,” Shepard said. “I am excited to see what happens and having my subscription to The Sidekick be delivered to my dorm and reading it to see what the staff has been able to achieve. I know I will always appreciate the work that is put into the paper.”

In addition to Loop, Wen and Shepard, seniors Shannon Wilkinson (photographer), Regan Sullivan (photo editor), Jordan Bickham (graphics editor), Tolu Salako (editorial page editor), Caroline Carter (news editor), Christina Burke (managing editor), Elizabeth Sims (enterprise editor) and Jay Caroll (business staff member) compromise the 11 seniors who have made the D115 newsroom their home away from home during their four years at CHS and who will hold an especially special place in Wofford’s heart.

And while Wofford is proud of the seniors’ accomplishments of earning recognition as an Online Pacemaker finalist, winning Best Website by The Dallas Morning News in 2012 and earning Gold Star Awards from the Interscholastic League Press Conference (ILPC) alongside Class 5A Individual Online and Newspaper awards at ILPC, Wofford said these 11 seniors possess the even more notable quality of practicing ethical journalism.

“They are better than any other group of graduating seniors I have had in being ethical journalists,” Wofford said. “And I hope they realize it because while they may assume everyone acts ethically, not everyone does because many people will look for shortcuts and will have the temptation to take them.”

Wofford also deems the 11 graduating seniors he had the fortune of sharing a presence in D115 with all four years of their high school careers should give credit to their families.

“They come from great families, and I have had the chance to get to know many of the siblings and families on a personal level,” Wofford said. “I share a special bond [with the 11 graduating seniors I have had all four years], and I take it all to heart.”