Punjwani plays her way to Northwestern as she continues to pursue oboe

By Pranathi Chitta

Playing the same instrument for seven years never tired senior Alisha Punjwani. She has been playing oboe since sixth grade, even though it was not her first choice of instrument.

“I went in thinking I really wanted to play the flute,” Punjwani said. “But I couldn’t play a sound when I tried it out.”

Playing the flute seemed so small and compact, which attracted Punjwani, but since there was a small obstacle, she had to move onto another option.

“[Coppell Middle School North band instructor Joel Ashbrook] took over and asked me to blow on a reed which released a good sound,” Punjwani said. “At that point, a double reed instrument was a yes.”

Since Punjwani’s sister already took the clarinet, oboe was a fresh choice for Punjwani, which was assisted by her prior musical

Punjwani practicing her oboe. Photo by Shannon Wilkinson.

training.

“Thirteen years of piano really helped with playing the oboe,” Punjwani said. “[Piano] definitely gave me a head start.”

At the beginning of sixth grade, band students learn how to read music, clefs, keys, notes and how to finger their instrument, but for Punjwani, these peculiar skills were already second nature since she already begun playing the piano at 5 years old with the inspiration of her mother.

“When my mom lived in Pakistan, she would go to restaurants and there would always be a piano player, and she really loved the piano player, so she promised herself that she would make her children learn to play the piano,” Punjwani said.

Punjwani’s mother, Shahnila Punjwani, is very supportive and proud of her daughter.

“When Alisha decided to play an oboe and knowing Alisha’s willpower and confidence, I was sure she would do her best and go far to achieve a musical career,” Mrs. Punjwani said.

Mrs. Punjwani always knew Alisha would come this far with music and go even further in the future.

“She has always been a strong, passionate and bright child,” Mrs. Punjwani said. “With her passion in music and her strong will power, she will have a successful and bright career in music.”

It took Alisha five minutes to make her decision about playing the oboe and made the right decision. With playing the oboe, Alisha has won many awards and achieved many accomplishments.

“In junior year, I made all-state orchestra, making second chair on English horn, which was my biggest accomplishment,” Alisha said. “I also got outstanding soloist at the state solo and ensemble contest that year for English horn.”

Even with the amount of dedication Alisha puts into music, there is still one thing that comes before it.

“For me, it’s academics,” Alisha said. “It’s always academics before music; music comes right after academics.”

Many students infer band students have a very tough schedule to balance academics and their instrument, but Alisha thinks differently.

“There is only time to fit two things in your schedule, but you have to do three things,” Alisha said. “For me, it’s academics, music and sleep.”

This has eventually helped Alisha with her academics, as she is ranked 10th in her class. To help her pull through some tough times she has been through, Alisha has had major help from her private lesson teacher, Sally Bohls.

“I have learned so much under Mrs. Bohls. She has never made it stressful for me, which is why many of her other students never quit playing oboe,” Alisha said. “Mrs. Bohls makes learning the oboe a fun experience. I never had a reason to quit with her.”

Bohls has taught Alisha since sixth grade.

“From the start, Alisha is a smart girl,” Bohls said. “She tended to be a scattered girl when she was in sixth grade, like others.”

Bohls said that Alisha had so much on her plate during sixth grade and was not sure how serious Alisha would take playing the oboe.

“But when Alisha got to seventh grade, some switch turned on for her,” Bohls said. “Suddenly everything made sense for her.”

Bohls has also guided Alisha so much that she has gotten into her dream school, Northwestern University in Chicago.

“At Northwestern, I’m going to be studying under two professors and oboists under the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and a professor who plays in the Chicago Lyric Orchestra,” Alisha said. “With so much experience from them, I’m going to get as much as I can from them”

Alisha has been dreaming about Northwestern since ninth grade and was finally satisfied when she got accepted.

“Mrs. Bohls was the second person I called after my mom,” Alisha said.

Bohls has been providing private lessons for 22 years with many successful students and Alisha has just added on.

“It’s interesting, because I am proud of [Alisha] regardless of the level of her accomplishments,” Bohls said.

Not only did Mrs. Punjwani know Alisha would come this far, but also be very successful in the future.

“She is a confident young lady and I am sure she will have best, lifelong experiences in Northwestern University and a bright future ahead of her,” Mrs. Punjwani said.

At Northwestern, Alisha is planning to double major in biology and music and is still unsure of which path she wants to pursue.

“Whatever I end up doing, it will still be dependent on the other,” Alisha said. “My chances of getting into medical school are going to be affected on how well I do in music and my chances of getting into music school will also be affected on how well I do in biology; they’re interdependent.”

Alisha is not only looking forward to the wonderful teachings from her professors, but also the different people that she will meet in Chicago, which does not seem to surprise her mother, either.

“I am not scared at all for her. She has her goals set in life and I have 100 percent trust on her,” Mrs. Punjwani said. “I am really confident about her bright career and I know she will always strive for her best future.”

Alisha will be interning at a gynecology clinic this summer while learning more oboe. Alisha hopes to learn how make a reed in addition to playing this summer and during her freshman year.

“I can’t imagine myself quitting it,” Alisha said. “Music is a part of my future.”