Students using school organizations solely to expand their resume

Grapic by Josh Martin

By Pranathi Chitta

Throughout the halls this week, students have been putting up posters to advertise their running for student council. Usually, students run for these positions to take leadership of their grade, but recently, many of them are only running so they can have something extra to put on their resume.

Juniors and seniors only realize now what they lack on their resume and are eager to add more. The only option that would make a great impact is leadership throughout the school. Students think that last minute actions will impact their resume.

Not only is this happening with student council, but many students are running for officer positions for clubs, with the intention of beefing up their lackluster resume. Since the end of the year is approaching, students are rushing to get whatever they can get for this year.

Even though resume padding is wrong and superficial, colleges cannot tell the difference between an honest resume and a moderately padded, thus students feel like they have no choice but to do so.

It seems like there is no passion anymore. If the world was not so modern and we were still living as if it was the seventies or eighties, people would have causes for school clubs such as women’s rights or world peace, they would genuinely want to make a difference.

Currently, society is completely drained from influence and enthusiasm. Students only do activities for something in return, not just for the fun of it.

The worst part of the whole matter is that school sponsors and teachers do not seem to realize this. Sponsors can only see how eager students are for an officer position in their club while hoping that students actually have the passion and desire.

Before accepting a member, or electing an officer, sponsors should obtain background information on the student. Sponsors should ask why a student is interested and why they decided to run for an officer or decided to join the club.

It is evident that a student is just participating in the club for the reward when they are asked to do a specific task, but only completes half of it.

In the long run, the students would have resumes filled with monotonous activities that go on and on about their self accomplishments while their self proclaimed “clubs” and student leadership positions lie deserted and abandoned.

If these students were actually passionate and had a care for these clubs, then there would be change occurring in everyday school life amongst their peers. Unfortunately, this takes the backseat to an impressive resume.