Nannying jobs offer teens parenting experience, opportunity to build relationships

By Kristen Shepard
Editor in Chief

When most students look for a part time job, they have several expectations in mind. Some want few responsibilities. Others want to be able to work with their close friends. But for the few students who select to become a part-time nanny, their expectations did not even begin to cover the experiences they have.

Video by Holly Swaldi and Jack Shirley

Because nannies babysit the same children regularly, they oftentimes take on more responsibilities than typical babysitters. When parents have early morning meetings, the nanny takes the children to school. Nannies drive kids to practice, cook meals and even help with homework.

“A lot of students babysit occasionally, but when you nanny, you really get to know the kids,” Coppell High School senior Nicole Capdevila said. “If they are having trouble with friends or had a bad day at school, I usually know about it. I like being there to help them through their problems.”

Capdevila uses the money she saves from nannying to take an annual mission trip to Peru. Besides saving money, Capdevila appreciates the memories she is making by watching two elementary age children, Cassey and Colby.

For the high school students that take on the role of being a part time nanny, the lessons learned will stand with them for a lifetime, giving them experiences that will guide them through the time they will likely spend as parents.

“Nannying makes me feel like a parent sometimes. I have to make decisions about what the kids can and cannot do, and I help them in their routine,” senior Alex McCracken said.

Obviously there is much more responsibility demanded by a job that requires taking care of and looking after children than in most part time jobs, but the high school students who take on nannying jobs love what they do.

“I always knew I loved kids, and love Leah like she is my own,” senior Lynnette Casillas said. “I have known her for her entire life.”

Casillas has watched Leah McDade, 2, for two years, and has even spent entire weekends watching her while her mother is traveling. Casillas has been with Leah to watch her grow up and has learned so much from the time she has spent with Leah.

“I have not been apart from Leah for more than one week since the day she was born,” Casillas said. “I’ve had Leah for over two years, and I would say of the kids I nanny that I am closest to Leah.”

Outside of the time Casillas spends watching Leah and her other nannying kids, she is a busy high school student who takes advanced classes and spends time with friends outside of school. On several occasions Casillas has missed out on social activities to spend time babysitting.

“I do not feel like I am missing out on anything because I love watching her,” Casillas said. “I learn a lot from the children I’m around regarding patience and time management. I’ll carry these little lessons with me to college and when I have a family. It is nice to have a head start.”

Capdevila and Casillas want to be the best nannies they possibly can, and they want the children they watch to benefit from the time they spent together.

“We try to be as active as we can,” Capdevila said. “We definitely do not want to be sitting around.”

Capdevila found out that the Dillenbeck family needed a permanent babysitter when Dillenbeck’s schedule made it hard to drive Cassey to gymnastics. Capdevila began her job by driving Cassey to her gymnastics classes.

“When I took the job, I thought I was prepared because I had lots of babysitting experience, but I have really grown to know them so well that I feel more like an older sibling than a babysitter,” Capdevila said.

Besides building a relationship with the children she watches, Cassey and Colby, Capdevila has gotten to know Coppell Resident Jeanne Dillenbeck, their mother as well.

“Ms. Dillenbeck is an awesome mom. She has such a busy schedule but is an amazing mom to Cassey and Colby,” Capdevila said. “I am more than happy to help her out when she is working.”

Picking a nanny to watch your children can be a difficult task, and Dillenbeck is grateful to have found Capdevila.

“My good friend Stephanie from Discover and Share recommended Nicole to me. Nicole is very responsible and started driving Cassey to gymnastics,” Dillenbeck said. “Now she drives them to just about everything. Nicole is the reason I survive.”

With such a busy schedule, Dillenbeck appreciates Capdevila’s availability and helpfulness.

“There is a huge demand for babysitters in Coppell,” Capdevila said. “I am always being referred, and families are always looking. Nannying has taught me a lot about being a mom, and I would recommend the job to anyone.”

When high school students sign up to nanny, they are exposed to a taste of being an adult. They resolve disputes between siblings, they help with science fair projects and they play outside at the park. At the end of the day, it may be difficult to judge who appreciates the bond nannies have with the children they watch the most: parents, kids or the nanny herself.