Goyne starts year with varsity lacrosse status

By Shannon Morgan

With baby blue eyes, blonde hair and a natural talent for lacrosse, brothers JP and Ben Goyne seem similar to a stranger, but upon further inspection they are not at all. While JP, a senior, is about to graduate this year, Ben, only a freshman, is continuing the tradition in the Goyne family by beginning his lacrosse career as a freshman on varsity.

Despite Ben’s lack of experience on a high school lacrosse team, he fits in quite well and adjusts to the level of difficulty varsity brings.

“It is really different than before,” Ben said. “Eighth grade lacrosse is a lot slower and a lesser pace and now it’s a lot faster [pace].”

Even for a freshmen on the taller side, there still is a size difference between him and the other, older varsity players. Despite this difference Ben still earned his place on varsity because of his skill, and it seems his size and age difference have no affect on his playing.

“Everyone is a lot bigger than me, and kind of more mature,” Ben said. “ They have had like four years to grow so it is just a lot different.”

This is the first year for Ben and JP to be on the same team. Ben plays attack while JP plays on the defensive side, eliminating any of the brotherly competition that might occur.

“Its good because we get to play together, go to the games together and practice together every day,” JP said. “He is doing great.”

To add more pressure to one of the only freshman on varsity, the change from a lower level of intensity in the sport to a higher level was intimidating for Ben.

“I struggled a little bit because it was different and harder, and I was just getting into the swing of things,” Ben said. “But now that we are more into the season I have kind of gotten the hang of things and I think I have gotten better.”

Even the honor of being on varsity as a freshman has not stopped Ben from remaining appreciative and respectful about it, and has not diminished his love for the game.

“I try to stay humble, but since lacrosse is not that popular of a sport here it is more chill than if someone made varsity football as a freshman,” Ben said.