Project Prom returns to provide dresses for the big night (video)

http://youtu.be/PAT5KvR9pcI

By Tolu Salako
Editorial Page Editor

Video by Kasey Tucker and Mariana Bulgarelli
KCBY Staff

In 2011, former Coppell High School freshmen English teacher Brynlea Taylor-Cuniff wanted to make sure that every senior girl had the opportunity to find that perfect dress for the one night they will never forget: prom.

With prom being such a major event in the American culture, the importance of making this one night special is very important to students, teachers and parents. Taylor-Cuniff knew how important prom was to her and therefore took it upon herself to create a program that would help senior girls who may not have the financial means to buy a brand new dress have the opportunity to rent one of the gently used dresses donated to make this one night special.

Completely confidential, students arranged appointments to meet in B115 and try on the gently used dresses and wear them to prom.

“I saw a financial need rising among the affluent socioeconomic status of CHS,” Taylor-Cuniff said. “I heard many girls talking about how expensive prom was and that their financial status would keep them from going.”

Though Taylor-Cuniff left Coppell after the 2011-12 school year, Project Prom did not come to an end, but it had expanded. Taylor-Cuniff started the program in Tyler at Robert E. Lee High School, but has since moved to Frisco ISD where the program had already been established. Taylor-Cuniff enjoyed working on Project Prom and is happy to hear that it is thriving at CHS.

“I continued Project Prom in Tyler because the school’s socioeconomic status was much lower than Coppell’s,” Taylor-Cuniff said. “The community came together, donated nearly 100 dresses and  news channels came to interview and did stories that aired and it was a huge success. I even had people volunteer makeup and hair services at no cost.”

With Taylor-Cuniff gone, new sponsors rose to the challenge and took on Project Prom.  Public Services Academy teachers Amy Snyder and Becky Richards have gotten PSA students involved in the program and have continued to make Project Prom a success.

The Coppell community has gotten more involved in the project with First United Methodist Church donating racks and hangers for the cause and Coppell Care putting aside a budget just in case more dresses in larger sizes need to be purchased just to ensure that every young girl gets to have the opportunity to look beautiful on the special day.

PSA students work hard to helping others and the Coppell Community and Project Prom is one of the many ways these students can get actively involved to better the lives of others. Seniors Megan Alberse, Amanda Hoppie and Sarah Robertson are the student leaders playing a major role in Project Prom and its continuation and success.

“Myself, [Hoppie and Robertson] help out during the appointments when the girls come in to dress shop,” Alberse said. “We also help advertise to let girls know that Project Prom is an option and that they should reach out to us.”

All those involved with the management of Project Prom have had community service experience and I did not want to pass up an opportunity where they can actively get involved once again.

“I have always loved volunteering and public service and I did a lot of it when I was in college,” Snyder said. “I was in a sorority and we did a lot of charitable work and I knew that when I started teaching that I wanted to get involved in a similar organization that

What some students may not know is that Project Prom is not only directed to girls, but the Academies have paired up with local businesses who can help boys to rent tuxes free of charge as well.

“Project Prom gives people the opportunity to feel like a princess for a night and it just a great experience,” Richards said. “We want people to take advantage of this opportunity.”

http://youtu.be/PAT5KvR9pcI