Cowboy Soccer nets quintet against Patriots, 5-0

By John Loop
Sports Editor

Senior midfielder Justin Todd continued his scoring tear, and Coppell made the most out its final non-district game, taking the wind out of the Jefferson Patriots’ sails early and often, winning 5-0.

Todd scored two goals, both of which came in the first half. Senior forward Chris Madden, junior forward Colten Clark and senior forward Mitchell Apple each added goals for the Cowboys, capping off a big night for the Cowboys.

Early on however, things seemed to get a little chippy. The Cowboy offensive push struggled out of the gate, but finally found its rhythm when Todd’s chip-in 19th-minute goal hit the back of the net.

Towards the end of the half, Coppell was called for four straight offisides penalties. Coppell head coach Chad Rakestraw was irate at the referees for the blatant no-calls.

“My reaction should have been better than what it was,” Rakestraw said. “There were a couple of them that were very easy no-calls and they got called, but, hey, that is just how it goes.”

The Cowboys hope to use this game to springboard them into a tough District 5-5A schedule that begins with the Hebron Hawks next week.

“I haven’t seen Hebron play, but we always know that any game against Hebron is going to be a tough one,” Rakestraw said. “They always come and play us tough. No matter who it is in our district, we are going to have to be prepared. We have a huge target on our back from what we did last year, so we are going to show up in every game.”