Hoops Preview: Cowboys vs. Flower Mound Marcus Marauders

By John Loop
Sports Editor

The second round of district play begins on Tuesday for the Coppell Cowboys (17-10, 1-4 in District 5-5A) against the Flower Mound Marcus Marauders (20-3, 4-1), the team currently holding first place in one of the area’s toughest basketball districts.

If the Cowboys want to get even a sniff at playoff hopes, the momentum swing has to happen tomorrow night.

Marcus comes in to Coppell’s gym tomorrow riding high, after the preseason addition of Alvarado High School senior transfer Xavier Adams. Adams, a versatile player who is already committed to play college ball for the University of New Mexico Lobos next fall, sits third in the Class 5A scoring race, averaging 19 points per game. Adams also has a competitive edge, with his 6-foot-5 frame, in the rebounding category. He leads the team in rebounding with nine per game.

Adams has gotten help throughout the season from senior guard Jack Holden, junior point guard Michael Wheeler and junior three-point specialist Michael Mayhew.

Coppell, on the other hand, has last its early season mojo. After starting the season 12-4, the Cowboys have fizzled as of late in a district that has shown great strides of improvement from last season. After three straight losses to Lewisville, Hebron and Flower Mound, head coach Kit Pehl is looking for a spark that could fuel a late season push from the Cowboys to the postseason.

Look for senior guards Cody Carver and Landon Goesling, Coppell’s most consistent players, to be key factors in tonight’s game.