Green to become Gator gymnast a semester early

By Gaby Moran

While many see the winter holidays as a break from high school to just hang out with friends and family, senior Liz Green sees it as her last chance to say goodbye to Coppell, TX and hello to Gainesville, FL.

Green will be attending the University of Florida a semester earlier than other high school seniors.

“I’m excited to go but nervous at the same time,” Green said. “But I know everything will work out in the end and my teammates will help me through the next semester.”

Green has been a gymnast all her life and has accomplished much. She drove herself to move from level seven to level nine to elite level –the highest in organized gymnastics– within two years, a difficult feat. With the help of Coppell High School administration, Green was able to complete her high school degree and practice up to 30 hours a week. CHS played a big role in Green’s career. With her determination and with countess resources at her disposal, she was able to do it all.

“Liz is an excellent role model for all of our gymnasts and is a perfect example of an athlete who can balance a school schedule, a 30-hour per week training schedule, and have a life,” Texas Dreams Gymnastics director Chris Burdette said.

Green won medals and was known in the gymnastics world since she was little. She trained with Olympic gold medalist Shawn Johnson at their first elite training camp. Johnson still keeps track of her career. During the years 2007 to 2009 alone, Green earned 10 gold medal State titles, 10 gold medal Regional titles and two J.O. National All-Around titles.

While Green chose not to pursue the Olympic dream in 2008, she had a different dream to compete at the college level with the best in the country. Since her sophomore year, colleges like the University of Oklahoma, University of Georgia, University of Alabama, UCLA, University of Arkansas, Stanford University and University of Florida showed interest in recruiting Green. It was a difficult choice, but after much thought Green verbally committed to the University of Florida at the beginning of her junior year.

“The visit to Florida won me over,” Green said. “I loved the Christian atmosphere, the team, the coaches and the beautiful campus and the weather was perfect.”

While many sports do not choose to play their young athletes during their freshman year because they would like them to gain muscle and grow in size, gymnastics is the complete opposite. Many female gymnasts go a semester early, because at 18 they are in their prime. Green was given the chance to go a semester early and start competing at the beginning of 2010. It was a difficult decision, but Green decided she was ready for college and to make her big appearance in the NCAA world early. Green officially signed with Florida on Nov. 11.

“She brings the competitive experience from winning two J.O. National titles in a row,” University of Florida gymnastics coach Rhonda Faehn said. “She’s really solid under pressure situations, which we love.”

Green’s future individual plans for this coming season are to compete in all-around competition, which by definition means a gymnast who competes in all disciplines of the sport, and be named All-American.

“She is motivated to be a success and is sure to continue her ambitious pursuit into college,” Burdette said. “She will be a very fun gymnast to keep up with over the years.”

Green plans to leave Coppell on December 26, the day after Christmas, and head to Gainesville to start training for her first official meet on January 8 at the University of Oklahoma.