• Coppell ISD is closed for spring break. Coppell Student Media publishing resumes March 18.

Color guard acts as team, family

By Shannon Wilkinson

The family aspect of any sport or art is important, especially in Coppell. Coming together as a team improves it as a whole. The 2013-2014 color guard team is trying extra hard to do that this year.

“I was in the band last year and this year I am in both band and color guard,” New Tech High@Coppell sophomore Anna Garza said. “We have all gotten really close and the upperclassman are always making us laugh which makes me feel more comfortable.”

The team this year consists of 30 girls who all have a great talent and love the friendships that come with joining this team. Every football game they leave the game early to practice twirling their flags to make their performance the best that it can be.

“I love performing the same time as the band because we really stand out among that large group and we add something to the show,” Garza said. “We all feel like a big family.”

Some may think the band and color guard just go out onto the field and hope for the best, but in reality, hours and hours go into preparing a 15-minute show.

“During practices we go through the show and make sure everything is perfected,” sophomore Sidney Weikel said. “At the end of practice we do a final run through of our show so we really have to work together to make it look amazing.”

Being able to throw objects into the air, catch them, dance to choreography and remember their positions on the field is quite impressive.

“I want to be the best I can be,” Garza said. “I want to be able to say that I have been in band and color guard and that I was good at it. Help from the older members is always appreciated.”

Junior Anna Garza performs a color guard routine with the band during halftime at the football game against McKinney Boyd on Friday, September 6. Coppell beat Boyd, 49-24. Photo by Regan Sullivan.

Seeing these talented girls do what they do is incredible. They give everything they have just so their Coppell audience is not only entertained, but impressed as well. With their colorful costumes and spinning flags, this team can be spotted miles away.

“As a team, we are always trying to improve everyday,” Weikel said. “We hope to make top three at Bands of America (BOA) this year.”

Team bonding is important in every sport, but lucky for this year’s color guard team, it was quite easy to be good friends with every girl on the team.

“We have all become really close as a group,” Garza said. “During the bus rides, practices or even just getting ready for the show, it feels like a party.”

Color guard practices every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 4-6 p.m., running its routines over and over again to get them perfect.

“In my opinion, color guard is a sport, we are not only dancing, but running as well so, you must be fit to do this,” Weikel said.

Being on color guard no dance training is required, but they do perform numerous dance moves. Anything from leaps or piques can be seen in their Friday night routines. Garza is now enrolled at Top Hat Dance Center in Lewisville to improve her dance skills and be the best she can be, on and off the field.

“I can always count on someone on the team because we really connect with each other the first few weeks together at band camp,” Weikel said.

Overall this year is expected to be a good one, including some girls attending Winner Guard, a competition for solo or ensemble performances.

“Before we go onto the field, we huddle up and talk about things we need to worry about during the show,” Garza said. “I personally sing Royals by Lorde to calm my nerves.”

With outstanding new routines, this 2013-2014 color guard team is sure to impress you.

“It has already been a really fun year and I can’t wait to see what the rest has in store,” Garza said.