Christianity overpowers student life

Rachel Buigas-Lopez

By George Fairchild

“In Jesus’ name we pray”

When walking past the girls’ soccer team a few mornings ago, I listened to the team recite a prayer, the same prayer they recite before every practice. I could not help but wonder, did everyone consider themselves Christians? What would they do if they did not?

Coppell is similar to many suburbs in the South in the sense that it likes to hold true to its Christian and conservative background.  This can at times create problems.  Coppell is strewn with churches, and that is certainly not a bad thing.  I am not condemning religion and although I am not religious, I definitely respect those who are.  Religion is becoming far too overpowering at CHS.

I have observed during my time at CHS that religion has crept into everyday life at school.  To the Christian followers in Coppell, the increase in religion over the last couple of years goes undetected and when noticed certainly does not seem like a problem.

It is a serious concern however.  Each year more families move from overseas to come to Coppell that do not share the same religious beliefs as many of Coppell’s citizens.  These new students that come to a public school should expect change, but religion should not be a part of that.  Christianity is taking over the playing field and the classroom and is damaging the comfortable high school atmosphere that every student deserves.

Let’s take a look at the world of sports in Coppell.  Many teams pray before a practice and before games.  Of course prayer should be allowed, but it should not be a team prayer towards a certain God.  Let’s go back to the girls soccer team.  If a girl was not Christian she would feel very out of place if she didn’t pray and extremely uncomfortable if she prayed to a God she didn’t believe in.  It is important to remember that CHS is a public school and that organized religion and prayer must be kept separate from everyday on goings.

Another way Christianity is taking over sports at Coppell is the fellowship of Christian Athletes or FCA as it is more commonly known.  I remember during my freshman year while playing for the high school soccer team, my coach told all of us to go the FCA meeting one evening.  I chose not to go and the next day I remember feeling very awkward as everyone including the coach wore their FCA shirt.  I wondered about how religion could be allowed to divide up a public high school team. I have not seen a coach ever make an announcement about a Muslim, Hindu or Jewish athlete group.  Christianity is taking over Coppell and making students feel different and out of place because of religion and that is not something that should ever happen in a public school.

In the classroom, Christianity is starting to change the way science classes are being taught.  A few days ago in my Earth and space science class, we discussed the creation of the universe.  In a science class in a public school the only thing that should be discussed is scientific theories that have strong evidence, yet most of the class refused to discuss the possibility of the Big Bang and wanted to talk about creationism instead.  I am not saying that creationism is wrong, but if it is discussed then surely the story of how everything began from every religion should also be discussed.

It is a slippery slope and soon, when its time for science class to discuss the beginning of the Earth students will not be taught the scientific education that other students enjoy around the world but instead they will hear about how their own religion is all that matters.  Christianity’s dominance over everything including science classes in a public school must end to ensure a proper education for all students.

Coppell’s Christian and conservative background has a place in Coppell and its citizens should be proud of it, but the school must draw the line when it starts affecting student’s education and experience in a public school.

10