New rules, new programs push CHS into 21st century

Story By Allie Perison
Editor-in-Chief

It seems that this school year is the start to a lot of new changes in the halls of Coppell High School. With everything from a new entrance to a new style of teaching, CHS is working to bring itself into the 21st century.

“I want our school to be the best it can be,” Principal Brad Hunt said. “If a couple changes are what we need, then they will be made.”

Policies such as the new cell phone rule and My Advisory Period (MAP) were decisions influenced by the leadership retreat this summer. This group was a diverse collection of students involved in various activities at the school. In order to participate, students had to be nominated by either a teacher or administrator. 

“The group who was on the leadership retreat all brought different and new ideas to the table,” Hunt said.

While there, students discussed how the school could be made better. With suggestions from all different types of people, all perspectives were represented.

“We suggested some of the rules be more lenient,” senior Kim Dalrymple said. “We thought that more freedom for students would be better.”

This year, MAP, or the mentoring program as many call it, is a program aimed at intermixing all grade levels. It is an effort to get seniors and freshman talking to show that we are all united. The program involves talking about topics that usually would not be discussed in a classroom. Students have an opportunity to express their thoughts and hear others opinions on such subjects.

“I think the mentoring program might be helpful,” senior Hannah McConnell said. “It may get people talking about things we usually wouldn’t discuss.”

All of these changes are in an effort to be a part of the 21st century learning style. This phrase is used to describe how schools are rethinking learning methods. This approach is meant to prepare students for jobs that may not even exist yet.

With all the new changes, CHS has a lot to look forward to this year. With events such as updated pep rallies and programs such as Rachel’s Challenge coming up, this school year is sure to be better than the last.

Video coming soon.