Junior girls get early start on senior overalls

Junior Olivia Brooks cuts out letters and matches fabric for her senior overalls.

By Natalie Gilbert

Red, black and white fabric and paints are already being restocked at the local craft stores due to the junior girls getting an early start on their traditional senior overalls.

To those outside of the district, the stress of an outfit worn only on home game days during football season may seem outrageous, but the Coppell High School girls know they receive one shot at portraying their personality perfectly through this senior tradition. Due to the emphasis on precision while creating these overalls, the assembly time can take anywhere from eight hours to a whole summer of tedious work.

Although girls anxiously await wearing their overalls and taking pictures since freshman year, girls can sometimes underestimate the time it takes to complete their pair. However, some in the class of 2014 may have grasped the reality.

Junior Olivia Brooks began the process in April to ensure a good final product.

“From past experience with senior friends, I have noticed that most girls underestimate the time it takes to make [their overalls] perfect,” Brooks said. “With band and summer vacations, starting now will keep myself from stressing all summer and starting off senior year tense.”

Brooks has finished matching patterns, gluing her bib and has even begun working on her cuffs and believes it will benefit her greatly.

“I know many creative people doing their own who haven’t even gone to the fabric store yet,” Brooks said. “They may not realize it now, but since our class is so ahead of the game, purchasing paint and fabric at the start of summer might put them behind.”

Those who do not have the patience, time or creativity to make their own go to local moms or CHS alumni who offer to make overalls for the class each year, but their spots fill fast.

Along with her full time job, local mom Dana Studebaker makes 18 to 25 senior overalls per summer and is known around Coppell as one of the best in business, which is one reason the girls are getting a head start.

An early start by this year’s junior class can be a cause of many different aspects such as more fabric options, a booked summer or the resentment of stress. According to Studebaker, the earlier they start, the more pairs she is able to do.

“I only work on them on weekends or evenings because of my full time job, so because this group of girls are starting so early, I am able to do more pairs,” Studebaker said.

Junior Meghan Judd has already purchased her fabric and secured the first spot on Studebaker’s list when they met and planned out the design.

“Even though I am getting them done for me, people line up to get them made by Mrs. Studebaker, which can be stressful waiting to know when yours will be done,” Judd said. “So it is better to start early to get them done.”

With many juniors starting on their overalls early and the eagerness to wear them rising, some hope to be wearing them to the first scrimmage of the 2013 football season.

“We all know that making our senior overalls has been anticipated since we were freshmen,” Brooks said. “Now that it is finally happening, I want to wear them as soon as possible.”