Old businesses react to the new businesses of Main Street

By Mia Ford

Staff Photographer

Coppell residents are thrilled about the revamping of Old Town Coppell, but the small businesses in the area share mixed feelings about it. Some small businesses feel that it may affect the small-town feel of the area.

“I was excited for our little independent entrepreneurs but also wanted to make sure that it’s done tastefully so we don’t lose the flavor and the old world warmth of Coppell,” Dianna Hopkins said, who works at the Ivy Cottage boutique.

The small businesses are also aware of the new foot traffic and cars that will now constantly be driving by their business. Employees of the Ivy Cottage, as well as other boutiques in Old Town Coppell, are aware that this can add to the success of their store.

“I’ve been mentioning to [the owner] that I really thought it would probably have a positive impact on our business,” Hopkins said.

The businesses are also well aware of the larger businesses and franchises moving in across the street. Some employees of the original businesses feel that the new large businesses will change the atmosphere of this classic area of Coppell.

“I do feel that it will affect the small town feel that Coppell does have because we are bringing bigger corporations into the area and it’s just going to turn that small town into a city feel,” Hard-Eight BBQ manager Josh Brown said.

Other small business owners feel that the old town feel of the area will not change because Coppell has made sure to include some businesses that the Coppell residents will already be familiar with, such as the relocation of the Local Diner.

“I know a couple of the businesses coming in and they’ve been in Coppell before and they’re a local old town feel so I don’t expect to see Old Town change too much,” owner of Coppell Home Décor Charles Chance said.

The small boutique is in its 13th year in Old Town Coppell.

The new retail, restaurant and entertainment locations will present more competition for the small businesses that have been there for many years, but this competition could provide a positive outcome for their businesses.

The shop owners are looking forward to the new businesses bringing in more people to the area, which will create more business for them. They look forward to the quiet and serene atmosphere to turn into a busy and bustling one.

“We were excited. We really look forward to having new businesses and giving people different things to do and come down here and eat, get their hair done, shop and stay a couple of hours,” Chance said.

Brown feels as if the new construction and businesses could also help the success of the restaurants and shops there today.

“I was actually very excited,” Brown said. “You know, it brings in a lot of business for us, and it poses a lot of opportunities for new people to come in and give their friends a word of mouth and let everybody know about Hard-Eight.”

It is safe to say that the new businesses and corporations will pose new challenges and business strategies to the original small businesses of Old Town Coppell.

Hopkins at the Ivy Cottage wants to make sure the new construction is done right and the architecture does not clash with the small town feel architecture there now.

“As long as they decide to office and keep the architect likeness, I think we’ll be OK,” Hopkins said. “And they keep the zoning strict and keep signs at a certain height and things like that.”

Hopkins will need to start getting used to the new architecture coming in, as there will be a large variety of buildings all in 17 acres of land. The mix of Darling Homes, retail spaces, and large restaurants will create a unique blend of architecture.

Business relationships will be formed, and frequent customers will soon be drawn into the shops. The new and improved Old Town Coppell will create a fresh new lifestyle for many Coppell residents and shop owners.

http://vimeo.com/64647856