All Coppell choirs take home UIL sweepstakes

By Erica Rohde

Just yesterday buses loaded Coppell High School choirs A Cappella (Varsity), Kantorei (Varsity), Men’s Choir (Non-Varsity) and Bella Voce (Non-Varsity) so that they may participate in the region 20 UIL competition at Duncanville High School.

The choirs prepared all year for their chance to really prove what they are made of and what the CHS directors believed to be their potential; what judges described as gorgeous tones and the hard work to back up such aspects of their performances as high sight reading scores and crisp diction.

Head choir director Josh Brown and Choir director Will McLean are very proud of their choirs. Yesterday every one of their choirs came out with sweepstakes, the highest rating that a choir can acquire in this competition.

“This is the first time in six years that all Coppell choirs who competed in the UIL region concert and sight reading contest have earned sweepstakes,” Brown said.

One of the other high school choir directors approached McLean claiming that he purposely brought his students to hear Coppell perform so that they may know how hard work pays off at CHS.

But Mclean and Brown both agreed that it is not about the scores. They know their students know that there is always room for improvement.

Brown and Mclean took the time during class to congratulate them, but told them that they must also remember to look ahead.

“You all should be very proud of yourselves,” McLean said. “But we are not in landing mode. Consider this a departure.”