Cowboy soccer scores second round in playoffs

By Tanner McCord
    Sports Writer

Tonight, your number one state ranked varsity soccer team took on Euless Trinity in their first playoff game in about three years and came home with a win. Coach Rakestraw and the boys have worked extremely hard to get to this point and they will continue their playoff run with a game late next week.

Although the team did not play to their full potential tonight, the team was able to come away with a 1-0 victory over Trinity with a goal in the 35th minute by junior Chris Madden, assisted by senior left back Kevin Tovson. Both teams fought a fairly back and forth battle, however the Cowboys definitely saw more scoring opportunities, most of which were the product of senior outside forward Mitchell Parnell who put several shots on net. Finishing opportunities was the only thing keeping the game close.

“We just need to pull it together on our attacks,” senior captain Nick Hazelrigg said. “If we’re able to finish more often, I could see us going all the way (to state).”

Euless Trinity was not short of opportunities, though. As they had two or three breakaway chances that were stopped by Kellen Reid and Jacob Tucker.

In the end a win is a win, but again the boys need to tighten up offensively and capitalize on their opportunities in order to carry momentum through the playoffs.