Program hopes to shatter destructive decisions

Sammy Robben
Sports Editor

Two cars sit smashed as evidence of costly decisions; seniors lay scattered, motionless or crying as they show the fatal consequences and shattered dreams that come from drinking and driving.

IMG_1786This scene is viewed by all, but many do not see what goes on behind the scenes to make this impactful event happen.

Shattered Dreams, which comes to Coppell High School on Thursday, is a program that shows the consequences of drinking and driving in a more personal and realistic way by using actual students from CHS to participate in the mock accident. This daylong program comes every two years and is viewed by juniors and seniors.

“Shattered Dreams shows students that their decisions affect more than just themselves,” senior Lexie Davidson said. “It makes students stop and think about what they are going to go out and do that night, and just how fatal the consequences of their actions really can be.”

Every year certain students are put in charge of coordinating Shattered Dreams. They are chosen their sophomore year and shadow the coordinators of that year’s event. This years coordinators are seniors Jen Olson, Eric Park and Chad Guderian.

“We are in charge of creating the idea and the script and storyboard, and then film and edit the video,” Olson said. “We also have a bunch of logistical stuff we have to take care of regarding the other KCBY members that will be filming that day at the hospital and the police station and the mock accident scene with the characters. [Guderian] and I also oversee the living dead of the day.”

The plot of the story and those involved in the scene are sworn to secret before the day of the event signing a contract saying that they will not reveal anything about what is happening that day. There are even some students that will participate as the walking dead that will not know until that day.

Though the program happens specifically at Coppell High School, it requires the whole community to make it work. Throughout the day students involved in the scene will be taken to various locations around Dallas, including hospitals, police stations and funeral homes, and students at CHS will see it all play out.

“We have been planning all school year,” CHS Principal Mike Jasso said. “[Sean Bagley], the lead assistant principal, has really been working with [New Tech@Coppell] and the community organizations because it takes that long to finally have the program all worked out.”

The administration hopes this program can be a remainder to students of the importance of their decision and how it can affect others. CHS always chooses to do the Shattered Dreams right before the senior prom to make sure it is present in the students mind during that time.

“Shattered Dreams is important especially right now as we are heading towards prom to keep the dangers of drinking and driving and responsible decision making at the front of students thoughts,” Jasso said. “Sometimes we might get carried away and forget the things that our parents have taught us and that we, as administrators, expect of you. It is a big production to make sure that we do everything we can to make sure you students stay safe.”

For those students involved in the planning process, the experience has made a lasting impact on their attitude towards drinking and driving.

“This experience has taught me a lot if different things from directing a short film to organizing such a huge event, but I think the most beneficial thing I will take away is my understanding of the negative implications of what drinking and driving can do,” Olson said.

1