Basketball Notebook: Cowboys looking to make rebound

By Tanner McCord

After a very tough couple of weeks of basketball, the Coppell varsity team is hoping to bounce back and begin playing more solid basketball. The last two weeks held a very tough schedule for the Boys as they took on two top five programs and a five round tournament before that.

The varsity squad had great success early in the tournament winning the first three rounds including wins by 15 and 20 points, however they lost their last two of the tournament, although one was only by a single two-point basket.

After tournament play ended, the team hosted South Grand Prairie where they took the top five team all four quarters and then some, in a very close overtime loss by just six points.

Just a couple days later the squad took on Richardson Berkner Rams, who would not budge defensively, as the final score of that game, 52-36, ended in favor of Berkner.

The Boy’s hope to bounce back this week, however, as they have two more games on the schedule before Christmas break.

Game one of the week will take place on Dec. 18 as the Boys travel to Rockwall to take on the 10-5 Yellowjackets at 7:30.

Expect a high scoring game on Tuesday, as the Yellowjackets have only had two games this season where they have not scored 60 or more points. Players to watch will be the two high powered sophomores Austin Grandstaff and Elijah Thomas, a 6’8 forward who averages over 20 points per game.

Following up the game against Rockwall will be Dec. 21 against Plano West High School. The Wolves are 8-7 on the year and will be hosting the Cowboys at 7:30. A player to watch for against the Wolves will be DJ Hogg, a sophomore forward who has averaged 15 points per game.

The Cowboys are hoping to snag a couple wins before the break, and with a solid team effort, there is definitely a good chance of  momentum going into the 2013 portion of the season.

1