Record number of “Texas 10 Most Wanted” fugitives arrested, one in Coppell

By Thomas Hair
Opinions Editor

In a state as large Texas, there are so many outlaws, drug gangs and sex offenders that it can be extremely difficult to keep the populace in-the-know about each one that they should keep an eye out for. The Texas Department of Public Safety’s solution to this was the creation of a constantly updated “Texas 10 Most Wanted” fugitive list, with rewards for tips typically ranging from $5,000 to $10,000.

This program has become a great success since its introduction in 2010. So far in 2012, 30 men that have been featured as a Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitive have been captured. This is a record in the three-year history of the program, as close to $100,000 in rewards have been paid for tips leading to these 30 arrests.

Most of the criminals entered into the Top 10 are wanted for murderer, drug trafficking, organized crime, violent sexual abuse or any combination thereof. If you live in a suburban “bubble” such as Coppell, do not be fooled into thinking that there is no way that you could know anything or have seen anything related to such heinous crimes. As recently as October 22, one of the Texas Top 10 Most Wanted men, Thomas Lee Elkins (age 58), was located in Coppell and arrested thanks to an accurate tip. Elkins was wanted for Aggravated Sexual Assault, Aggravated Kidnapping, Forcible Rape and Indecent Liberties with Child.

The Texas 10 Most Wanted website is constantly updates with new entries, photographs and information. Civilians are strongly encouraged to leave a tip if they have a suspicion or clue as to where a Most Wanted criminal or sex offender could be.  It is extremely easy to send an anonymous tip, as shown in this video. You may call the Crime Stoppers hotline at (800) 252-8477, text “DPS” and the tip to 274637 or submit the tip online or on Facebook.

Remember, Texas 10 Most Wanted program relies on tips from people just like you. Your actions could lead not only to a handsome reward, but also to the great feeling of knowing that you helped make our streets a lot safer.