MTV to air another Video Music Awards, world shrugs

By Chris Nguyen
Features Editor

It’s that time of year again. Not the start of the football season. Not when all the television shows get back on air. No, it’s MTV’s Video Music Awards time. Excited? No? How about if I tell you Taylor Swift will be there? Still no?

ENTER MUS-SPEARS 8 PD
Britney Spears uses a whip during her performance with a dancer at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Sunday, August 30, 2009. (Yong Kim/Philadelphia Daily News/MCT) Spears' lukewarm comeback at the VMAs, however, has not deterred Nguyen from watching the show again.

Unfortunately, despite many different attempts to revamp the awards show, including moves to Miami and Los Angeles, the VMAs have been fading slowly into oblivion, save for the huge disasters (see: Britney Spears’ 2007 “Gimme More” performance).

Now, the VMAs are back in the heart of New York City. But with a lineup of performers like Katy Perry and Green Day who are overexposed to the point of nausea, the VMAs are looking to slip further into relevance. Even the promo looks awful. The only shinning light will be the Michael Jackson tribute led by sister Janet.

Of course, as a pop culture junkie, none of the bad buzz matters and I will be watching all three-plus hours no matter how much my brain tells me not to. So come Monday, look for my wrap-up of the good, bad and what will be a lot of ugly.

The VMAs will air on MTV and VH1 this Sunday, September 13 at 8 p.m.

2