Solar Car team begins to assemble energy-efficient car

By Divya Kumar
News Editor

Coppell High School’s EXCITE Solar Car program are examples of how students can put ideas about reducing the depletion of natural resources and conserving energy into action.  The Solar Car team, compromised of a group of EXCITE students of all ages, functions mainly to build a car which can run off of solar energy alone.

The EXCITE team hopes to create this car, dubbed the Aurora 2010, for the solar car challenge. (Photo courtesy the CHS Solar Car website)

The team, which has been together since before the beginning of the summer, is currently working on a project in which the car they build will ultimately go on a cross-country race through a variety of states.

Due to the fact that this is a year-round project, however, and in order to ensure a fully functional car, the team is making sure to cover all aspects and take their time in doing so to make sure that everything goes well.

As of this week, the Solar Car team has begun using their Satellite Tool Kit (STK), which helps to simulate positioning and provides features that will ultimately help map out the road for the race. Additionally, the electrical team has begun to condition the battery that will run within the car.

“We’ve been working on this project for a long time,” marketing manager and  junior Meera Patel said. “Most of the summer was devoted to planning for this and I’m excited that now that the school year has started we can put these plans into action and build this car.”

2