Letter to the editor: Swine flu information misleading

Re: The truth about swine: Some rumors explored in this issue
The Sidekick, October issue

I read the article on the swine flu in your current issue and felt compelled to address some issues brought up in the article. Since it was an article about the “truth” and dispelling myths, I think that some of the inaccuracies in the article should be pointed out so that more spreading of inaccurate information doesn’t continue.

First, different influenza types are strains, not strands. It is common for people to say the wrong word and a relatively minor point but is the more accurate terminology to use the word strain.

Second, Tamiflu is not a nasal medication as quoted by one of the students. Even though that is what she may have said, it shouldn’t be printed since it is not accurate.

Third, Tamiflu is an antiviral that is killing the virus, not just treating a symptom like a dose of Tylenol would do for combating the fever. That is why Tamiflu can at times be used to prevent flu in someone who is exposed because is keeps the virus from infecting them . Once you already are sick, it can help shorten the duration of illness a bit by killing the virus that is infecting you. It isn’t a “miracle cure” by any means but may reduce the risk in some people at high risk for flu complications.

Also the article said Tamiflu must be started within 12-48 hours of side effects. The proper term is symptoms. Side effects are reactions to medications. Symptoms are effects an illness has on someone such as fever, body aches etc.

Fourth, while it is true that not all strains of the flu currently circulating are swine flu, nearly all of them are. According to the Dallas County Health Department, at least 97 percent of flu samples tested have been swine flu. Seasonal flu is sporadic at this time.

I don’t mean to be critical of the students, but I have to dispel misinformation in my office on a daily basis, not only regarding the flu but many medical issues. Having published inaccurate information just feeds the problems

Mary Brown, M.D.
Coppell