Cowgirls take down Panthers, face Allen Eagles Thursday

By Andy Tabor

Coppell Cowgirls win the first playoff game 3-0. Photo by Tyler Morris.

The Coppell volleyball team handily defeated the Colleyville Heritage Panthers in three games 25-20, 25-21, 26-24.  The Cowgirls played their best match Tuesday since Senior Co-captain Deirdre Pajares was injured during district play.

The Cowgirls played extremely energized and well disciplined, a slight change from matches previously.

“The reason we were so successful was because this was the first time in a while that every single person was pumped and ready to go for the game.” Senior Mallory Cravens said. “The entire team had the right mental state going into this game.”

The game against the Panthers was a break out game for Cravens also.  Cravens had many timely digs and clutch kills to help Coppell stay in games and eventually close Colleyville out in three.  Cravens finally seemed comfortable since spraining her ankle, against the Allen Eagles.
Coincidentally, the Cowgirls face the Allen Eagles this coming Thursday in an battle of epic proportions.  The Eagles are number one in the area and number four in the state, while the Cowgirls are nine in the area and eleven in the state.  The Eagles have Army recruit D.J. Phee leading the charge for Allen against Coppell.  Throughout the first few match-ups, she has been the undoubted leader.

Co-captain senior, Shelby Tamura, plays with Phee on the same select club and may know some tricks that the Allen general may use against Coppell.

“D.J. is a very talented player and we need to be prepared to defend against her.” Tamura said.

Nonetheless, the Cowgirls and Eagles, Thursday, will provide one of the most exciting and intense matches in the second round of playoffs.  The Cowgirls play Allen at Plano West at 7:00.

“We are definitely ready to take another crack at Allen.”Senior Co-captain Taylor Meade said. “We really want to play them again and prove that we are the better team.”

Gallery by Tyler Morris