GSA pushes for more acceptance in 2nd year of club

By Kristen Shepard
After several years of debate and rejection, Coppell High School approved the Gay-Straight Alliance in 2011.
This year is the second year of the club’s existence, and the students in charge are ready to plan another year working towards the end of homophobia. Last year, when Assisstant Principal Sean Bagely notified 2012 Graduate Melanie Duck that her club application had been approved, strides towards the acceptance of all sexual orientations were already being made.
Entertainment Editor Kimberly Del Angel wrote about the acceptance of the club last year.
This year, the club’s first meeting will be held after school today, Wednesday 26 in C225. This year, English Teacher Susan Creighton will be sponsoring the club. Last year, History Teacher Brian Rohloff was the club’s sponsor.
Meeting attendance grew as time passed, and the club moved from Rohloff’s room to the pit in the main hallway, in order to accomodate a larger group of students. The club hopes to attract as many members as possible to spread their misson and goals.
The club is not necessarily rallying support of homosexuality, yet promoting tolerance and hoping to put an end to the bullying of gay/lesbian/bisexual peers. Several high schools in the metroplex have initiated GSA clubs, all of which strive to improve relations between straight and gay students.