Mockingbird honored as a National School of Character

By Thomas Hair
Online Copy Editor

The Character Education Partnership (CEP) is a national organization dedicated to instilling valuable character traits into children at school. The CEP outlines its 11 Principles of Effective Character Education and employs them to evaluate schools across the country for excellence in character education.

Recently, the organization announced 25 schools from all across the country as 2012 National Schools of Character. CISD’s Mockingbird Elementary School, under the direction of Pam Mitchell, was the only school in all of Texas granted this prestigious honor. Mockingbird has already been recognized by the CEP as a School of Character at the state level, but being named a National School of Character (NSOC) elevated the school to a whole other echelon.

As per CEP rules, Mockingbird will hold the title of National School of Character for the next five years and will be recognized as a State School of Character for the next three years. NSOC director Lara Maupin praised the winning applicants for their strong, welcoming communities, shared goals and vision and organized staff.

Selected schools, including Mockingbird, are used by the CEP as models for other schools around the country to follow. To be selected, Mockingbird underwent a meticulous evaluation that judged the school’s atmosphere and focus on character development.

The CEP will officially, ceremonially recognize Mockingbird Elementary and the 2012 National Schools of Character at the National Forum on Character Education on November 1 – 3 in Washington D.C.

1