2012 football team taking shape during spring practice

Junior center Leighton Light (in red) lines up and prepares for the next snap in spring football practice as Assistant Coach Steven Fex looks on. Photo by Trevor Stiff.
A wide receiver recovers after a hard hit. Photo by Trevor Stiff.

By John Loop

The constant thud resonates from Buddy Echols Field and the sweat drips down the backs of the varsity football players as spring practice begins.

After losing a win-and-in game against Keller Central in November, the Cowboys have been hitting harder, running faster and will soon be ready to produce better results under the lights next season.

Since the Cowboys’ first game against Longview is at SMU’s Ford Stadium in the 2012 Tom Landry Classic, there is not much time between now and when summer starts for the team to get on the same page.

“The overall goal for spring football is start preparing for Longview,” junior wide receiver Jason Lister said. “They are a really good team, but so are we.”

Until two-a-days start later in the summer, each position will be duking it out to see who wins a starting spot.

“They all got something to prove,” head coach Joe McBride said. “It really has nothing to do with the seniors graduating. It is just you have got to reload on talent. But there are also a lot of holes to fill. That is what spring is for.”

The losses will be felt most heavily on the offensive line and at quarterback.

With the departure of senior offensive tackle Sam Rice to SMU, and the graduation of senior guard Jake Williams, who will attend the Arkansas to pursue a degree in engineering, there are multiple spots open along the trenches.

Offensive and defensive linemen collide during a running play. Photo by Trevor Stiff.

One of these players, Leighton Light, is the junior center that will anchor a fresh set of faces on the line.

“I’m going to miss having Jake, Sam, Emilio [Primera] and Javier [Davila-Lopez] lining up next to me, “ Light said. “It was exciting to play with such a talented group of guys.”

Based on other positions as well, McBride is looking forward to seeing the battles take place in practice for the coveted starting job.

Oh absolutely, it is open competition everywhere,” McBride said. “They need to understand that they need to stay good in what they do. They need to stay sharp because there is always a battle between everybody to try and earn a position on the field. I don’t care if you started last year or not.”

After lifting weights and working out inside during the winter, the first day of spring practice has new meaning for both player and coach.

“Stepping on the field first time in spring, you get chills strapping on your helmet, Lister said, “We have one of the toughest off-seasons probably in the country and it will show throughout spring and the upcoming season.”

McBride has almost the same principle.

“Forget the past and create the new team that’s coming up,” McBride said. “Create chemistry and unity and commitment.”

All of these after-school practices lead up to the Spring Game at 7 p.m. on May 24 at Buddy Echols Field. This game will provide a glimpse of next year’s team.

Sophomore center Carson Massey (in red) lines up and prepares for the next snap in spring football practice as Assistant Coach Steven Fex looks on. Photo by Trevor Stiff.

“The game is going to be a lot of fun,” Light said. “There will be guys running around, lighting people up.”

McBride says it is a chance for the athletes to show off what they’ve learned.

“Hopefully, it will be fun and the kids will be healthy and be competitive,” McBride said. “It has always been a fun atmosphere, but it is really a culmination of the fun time after you’ve put in 17 really hard days [of work].”

If the Cowboys come out looking anything like the team from 2010, then next season will shape up to be in their favor.

Lister likes the direction that the program is going in, both for next season and long-term as well.

“[Spring ball] helps us get the feeling of back into football and hitting so come two-a-days in the summer, we are already prepared for the season, “Lister said. “Overall, our goal is to go 16-0. With Coach McBride at the helm, the only way this program can go is up.”

Spring Football Photo Gallery:

Photos by Trevor Stiff