Coppell Oakfest promotes community growth

By Frances Ruiz

[singlepic id=498 w=320 h=240 float=center]

Complete with the mouthwatering scents of delicious turkey legs and corn on the cob, heart pumping songs familiar to every generation present and excitement generated by fun activities such as hot air balloon rides and a rock climbing wall, Coppell Oakfest was a community event not to be missed.

Taking place for the third year in a row, Oakfest underwent minor changes like a shortening in its name from Oaktoberfest and a change in location at Andy Brown East due to weather conditions. The celebration and its many festivities, however, continued to provide an outlet of community growth and interaction for the city of Coppell. With its origins and history deeply rooted in honoring and commemorating the Oak tree, Coppell utilizes this event not only as a way to bring the community together, but to honor the beautiful, natural and environmental surroundings of Coppell.

Oakfest worker Ester Moreno, who has been a part of the experience for all three years, finds that Oakfest is a community event enriched with significant meaning.

“This festival is in honor of the oak tree which defines Coppell,” Moreno said. “It’s important to the city of Coppell and its members to recognize the role of the environment.”

Despite Oakfest’s significance in honoring the Oak tree , this unique celebration proves to be a great source of community fun for anyone willing to partake in the event. With two colorful bounce houses, a huge inflatable slide and art featured in the form of face painting and crafts being made, children had no problem enjoying themselves through this fall festivity. Outlets of fun for young adults and community goers were seen in the form of wild rides on the mechanical bull, tunes provided by the Emerald City Band, and invigorating rides in hot air balloons.

With so many great activities and outlets of fun for the entire community, Captain of the Coppell Police Department Shawn Fullgar felt that no one in attendance could feel left out.

“This is a great family oriented event,” Fullgar said. “There’s definitely something here for everyone.” 

Although a myriad of community members have yet to hear about the tradition of Oakfest, this form of friendly interaction provides the city of Coppell with an enriching and invigorating source of community togetherness. Activities and forms of entertainment aside, Oakfest is not a only celebration of our environmental surroundings, but a celebration of our community as a whole. It is through commemorations such as Oakfest which allow the Coppell community and its members the opportunity to truly grow and develop.

As newly appointed Department City Manager of Coppell, Mario Canizares feels that traditions such as Oakfest are a great way to bring the community together and allow for interaction amongst its citizens.

“This event is more about bringing people together and celebrating Coppell,” Canizares said. “It’s an opportunity to have a good time and meet others in the community.”

By learning to value and commemorate the significance and beauty of the surrounding natural environment, the community of Coppell is able to come together through outlets such as Oakfest while experiencing a sense of fun and excitement.