The 2012 NHL playoffs picks, Conference Quaterfinals

By Lance McCaskey

As the regular season came to a close, your Dallas Stars found themselves out of the top eight in the west for the fourth straight year. While this may be news to some you, it was a very tragic time for me as a season ticket holder and die-hard Stars fan.

Now I will do the only thing I can in this situation, pick the outcome of the Playoffs. The top eight teams in each conference will play in the playoffs, with the first seed playing the eighth, the second playing the seventh, the third playing the sixth, and the fourth playing the fifth. Let’s get started.

Western Conference

#1 Vancouver Canucks vs. #8 Los Angeles Kings

The Vancouver Canucks ended the year in first overall in the league, wrapping up the Presidents Trophy. While that may seem important, the team with the Presidents rarely wins the cup. I think this will be the same this year. The Kings are a young, fast, and skilled team that can play physical when they need to. The Canucks, on the other hand, are aging, averagely fast, have weak goaltending, and led the league in imbelishment(diving) penalties this year. I say the Kings take the fight to the Canucks, and beat them with their physical play.

Winner: Kings

#2 St. Louis Blues vs. #7 San Jose Sharks

This series will take my attention in the first round, not only because the Blues have a real chance at winning the cup for the first time, but because the Stars should be where the Sharks find themselves. Led by Ken Hitchcock, the Blues run a proven championship system, and own the physical aspect of the game night in and night out. The Sharks are a young, inexperienced playoff team, and struggle against any team that can play physical. The Blues will beat the Sharks, because the Sharks shouldn’t be here in the first place.

Winner: Blues

#3 Phoenix Coyotes vs. #6 Chicago Blackhawks

The Coyotes have returned to the playoffs the victors of the Pacific division, and look to better their first round loss of years past. The Blackhawks are still trying to put the pieces back together after losing most of their talent due to that pesky salary cap. The Coyotes aren’t as skilled, fast, or talented as the Blackhawks, but they have more heart, and they have some of the best team chemistry in the league. The Blackhawks won’t be able to overcome the Coyotes, and might want to start protesting the salary cap in the off season. Money can’t buy wins in hockey, kids.

Winner: Coyotes

#4 Nashville Predators vs. #5 Detroit Redwings

I hate the Redwings more than any other team in the NHL. That should be enough to make this decision, but the Preds are bigger, more physical, and have two of the best defensemen in the league in Webber and Suter. The defense of the Preds will shut down the Wings high powered attack, and the mighty Wings will fall in the first round.

Winner: Predators

Eastern Conference

#1 New York Rangers vs. #8 Ottawa Senators

The Sens are another team that don’t deserve to be here, but find themselves in eighth. The Rangers are bigger, faster, more talented, more skilled, and are better than the Sens in just about every way. Sorry Ottawa, maybe next year.

Winner: Rangers

#2 Boston Bruins vs. #7 Washington Capitals

The Caps have struggled all year, and can’t seem to figure out to play special teams. All of their high powered offensive weapons refuse to play defense, and we all know that defense wins championships. The Bruins, on the other hand, have a system centered on defense and puck control before goals. While I don’t think the Boston Bears will repeat, they will make it to the second round.

Winner: Bruins

#3 Florida Panthers vs. #6 New Jersey Devils

The Panthers, who most people don’t know exist, are in the playoffs for the first time in 12 years. While its quite an accomplishment to make the playoffs, it takes a whole ‘nother level of play to win in the playoffs. The Panthers aren’t slow but they aren’t big. The Devils offense and physical play will have no trouble with the poor little Panthers.

Winner: Devils

#4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. #5 Philadelphia Flyers

This series is without a doubt the most anticipated, after this little incident near the end of the season.

The Penguins are the favorites from the East, and have big stars that can do some special things. However, the Flyers are hungry, and are a more physical and a bigger team than the Penguins. They aren’t afraid to push the Pens stars around, and they aren’t intimated by Syd the Kid and his Russian pal. The Flyers will out work the talent the Pens, and will advance to the next round.

Winner: Flyers

That’s all I got for you right now. It’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show that is playoff hockey. I’ll see you next round.