Atheists swept under the rug in today’s “politically correct” society

Atheists swept under the rug in todays politically correct society

By Lance McCaskey

Atheism is debatably one of the most controversial topics in the religious world. However, similar to most American misconceptions about the Muslim religion, the so-called “facts” most people use to describe atheism are, at their core, false.

I know many atheists, I know many Muslims and I know many Christians. All three of these categories contain some of the most accepting, loving and overall great people I have ever had the good fortune of meeting. 

The unfortunate part of human nature is that we allow one bad egg to ruin the batch. Extremists on all three sides have tarnished the reputation that all three groups have worked so hard to create. From atheists who insult anyone who is remotely religious, and project a “superior race” like attitude, to the Westborough Baptist Church, who show up to gay-rights functions and events to protest the “immorally and sin” of the gays, to Muslim terrorists like Al Qaeda, extremists cause generalizations.

To understand what atheism is, we must first examine what atheism stands for. Atheists, contrary to popular belief, do not hate religion. Atheists do not hate god. Atheists do not go out of their way to attack your religion. Atheists do not hate you. You should not hate them.

Most atheists are more than accepting of any religious members of society. Atheists simply choose not to believe in a higher power. They believe you should not need a reason or a reward to be a good person. Instead of acting on behalf of a higher power, they act on behalf of themselves.

They are good people because they choose to be, because they want to be, and because it’s just the right thing do. Atheists are accepting, tolerant and exhibit all the qualities Christianity prides itself on. They simply choose not to believe in an almighty power or an afterlife.

The unfortunate fact of atheism is many religious people become upset and agitated about the subject. While most Christians are accepting of atheism, choosing to see the differences and push past them, some choose to handle it in a much different way. Many of my friends have been cussed out, shunned by close friends, and one had a drink thrown on him. Why are religious people so offended by atheists? Why do they choose to reject criticism and instead make personal assaults on the individuals? I really cannot say.

In today’s “politically correct society” Christians and Muslims alike both are being persecuted. Christians are forced into the shadows. Ever since 9/11, Muslims have taken a notorious amount of heat for being “terrorists” and the reason for “the problems in the world.”

Atheists have become the punching bag of the frustrated religious members of society. They see atheists disagree with their religion, and take it as a personal attack from a sinner bound to hell. If you put it in a schoolyard situation, the atheists are the kids bullied by the kids who get bullied. Society has made religion a problem, and the religious are angry. Out of frustration, they turn to those with no faith, the one’s they see as responsible for their problems. Things are out of hand, and things must get better for everyone’s sake.

Atheists and the oppression they face have been swept under the rug to accommodate the religious. It’s time we bring this issue to light. It’s time we fix the problem that no one in society wants to recognize. It’s time we accept atheists. Remember the golden rule, treat others the way you want to be treated.

1