Rice brothers shore up the lines

by Caitlin Conner

For the Coppell Cowboys, every Friday night is a chance to compete for a playoff spot. For brothers Tanner and Sam Rice, it’s a chance to win bragging rights for the next week.
    Tanner, a junior defensive end, and Sam, a sophomore offensive guard, are the only brothers on varsity this year. Despite their age differences, there is nothing “little” about Tanner’s younger brother. Tanner weighs in at around 240 pounds compared to Sam at 290 pounds.
    “The guys always tease me because Sam is bigger than me,” Tanner said. “They correct me when I call him my little brother.”
    The boys also share an older brother, Nick, who graduated from Coppell last year. Ironically, he is the oldest of the three and weighs the least at around 220 pounds.
    With two large football players in her home, Shawn Rice says the only way she feeds them is by buying wholesale.
    “People ask me how I feed them all the time,” Shawn said. “I don’t shop at normal grocery stores, just Costco. I buy everything in bulk.”
    In addition to their differences in size, the boys’ personalities make up for much of their individuality on and off the field.
    “In general, I think the defensive line is a little more serious than the offensive line. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it just fits our personalities well,” Tanner said. “Sam is really goofy and I’m a little more serious than he is.”
    Even with all their differences, neither brother can deny the motivation they provide for the other. Though some sibling rivalries could be harmful to the team’s overall goal, the Rice brothers say it contributes.
    “It used to be really competitive when I played right tackle and I had to go directly against Tanner in practice,” Sam said. “I always feel worse when I lose to him because he’s not just my teammate, he’s my brother.”
    Though having each other on the field makes it more competitive for the brothers, it also motivates the two to work harder. They both agree that having a sibling on the sidelines helps them play better.
    “When I go in for offense, I feel like he’s out there with me,” Tanner said. “It’s cool because I have my football brothers but also I have my real brother.”
    During the playoff games last year, all three Rice brothers were on the field together, which Sam says was a neat experience.
    “It was pretty exciting to be on the sidelines with Nick and Tanner,” Sam said. “I didn’t get to play much but it was still cool to be on the field with them.”
    Following each game and film review, the players receive score cards to mark their accomplishments within the game. The Rice brothers use these to dole out bragging rights for the week.
    Even with their competitive natures, the brothers never miss an opportunity to congratulate one another on their achievements.
    “Every time the offense scores, I give my baby boy a hug as he’s coming off the field,” Tanner said.
    Shawn also feels extremely lucky as a parent to have sons with such a tight-knit relationship.
    “They’re really close,” Shawn said. “Tanner definitely acts like the older brother and watches out for Sam. He’s always there on the sidelines to congratulate him after he does something well.”