Townley’s career ended due to accident, injuries

Senior Taylor Townley watches the Coppell v. Hebron football game from the sideline. Townley's football career was recently ended due to an accident and injuries.

By Natalie Hill, Centerspread Editor

Everyone has a passion, a dream or something that makes their days bearable. For senior Taylor Townley, football is what made his days complete until Aug. 9, a summer night that changed his life.

During a late drive home from Brownsville, Townley and fellow senior Taylor Heifetz, were in an accident which confined them to hospital beds for two weeks. When their car rolled into a ditch on a deserted road and caught fire, Townley and Heifetz both were airlifted to a hospital after a passerby called 911.

Townley suffered a collapsed lung, broken toe, minor concussion, blood clots, severely bruised ribs and was covered in cuts and bruises, but he slowly healed in Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth.

“I’m lucky to be alive,” Townley said.

Doctors said that he wouldn’t play football for the 2009 season, but persistent in his dream and passion, Townley proved them wrong. He soon returned to practice as a starting offensive lineman and after only a half week of taking it easy, returned to the practice field, despite the serious injuries from the accident. While running a screen play during drills the week of Oct. 5, though, Townley felt his knee lock, causing his right anterior cruciate ligament to tear.

Assistant head coach and offensive line coach Jay Jones said Townley was just getting back in shape when his knee gave out.

“It’s a hard loss because he’s the only returning lineman we have,” head coach Joe McBride said. “Even though he can’t play he’s still there to provide senior leadership. That’s what guys miss the most on a team, the camaraderie.”

Since his new injury, Townley’s future in football, and life as he knew it, changed forever. He and his doctors came to the conclusion he will not play football again.

“I’ve played football since I could walk,” Townley said. “It was a lifestyle for me. I feel like I’m left with nothing, to be honest.”

Townley was being recruited by University of Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Washington State University and Iowa State University.

“It’s upsetting but everything happens for a reason,” Townley said.

Townley’s ACL surgery is scheduled for December and rehabilitation training and physical therapy began on Oct. 16 with the school trainers. Physical therapy with doctors at a rehabilitation center will begin after surgery.

The future is unclear for Townley as he begins his new life without football. With hopes to attend University of North Texas after graduation, Townley is indecisive of what is to come. With a positive mindset, however, and despite the unfortunate circumstances, he will continue loving football.

“When one door closes, another door opens,” Townley said.