Unique mix of movies hits theaters Friday

By Jordan Bickham

A variety of movies hits theaters this Friday, including Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax which features the voices of Taylor Swift and Zac Efron.  While this is mostly a family movie, Project X, which is rated R, also comes to theaters this Friday and is already the movie to see this weekend.  Also hitting theaters is Being Flynn, an emotional drama based on a true story.

Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax is an adaption of his novel that was published in 1971.  While the book seems innocent enough, it actually tackles the tough subject of the concerns of a rapidly changing industrialized society and the danger it poses to nature.

In the new film, the story begins with Ted (Zac Efron) who lives in a city that is completely artificial.  In an attempt to win the affection of Audrey (Taylor Swift), the girl of his dreams, he goes on a hunt to find a real tree for her to see.  On his journey, he meets the reclusive Once-ler (Ed Helms), who tells the story of the Lorax (Danny DeVito), a grumpy, but charming little creature that guards the land.  But soon enough, a businessman depletes the forest with a revolutionary invention.  After hearing this, Ted decides to remind his town of the importance of nature, which is a great message to us all.

If you are not in the mood for a family movie, the film Project X also comes out Friday.  This comedy follows the story of three friends (Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper, Jonathan Daniel Brown) who are planning on throwing the most incredible party, one people only dream of attending.  But as the guests continue to arrive, the party turns into total chaos.  The starring actor, Thomas Mann, who came from Dallas and was also in It’s Kind of a Funny Story, had to audition seven times to obtain the leading role in this film since the director wanted someone without any former acting roles.  But finally he was given the part. The part that was well worth the effort.

Also hitting theaters is a lesser known drama called Being Flynn, which is based on a true story and focuses on Nick Flynn who is shocked to have his long-absent father reach out to him.  While it is rated R, the film is a heart-wrenching drama of redemption and trust, even in the darkest of times.

While the mix of movies coming out this Friday is definitely unique, they are well worth seeing.  Whether you are in the mood for a light-hearted flick, crazy comedy or a heart-wrenching drama, you will be able to find something that fits your interests.