Cowgirls soccer earns big win against Central

Senior Kasey Johnson rushes down the field to get the ball from the Chargers. Photo by Jodie Woodward.

By Chris Reagan

After a slow start the Cowgirls dominated Keller Central, 5-1. Coppell had a rough time at the beginning of the game working up the field and connecting on their passes.

After freshman Sarah King scored two unassisted goals in a minute and a half the Cowgirls controlled the game for the rest of the time.

“I’m really proud of Sarah King,” Head Coach Chris Stricker said, “Anytime a freshman scores it’s a positive thing.

Another freshman, Liat Evan, also scored shortly after receiving an assist from senior Jackie Moreau putting the Cowgirls up 3-0 before half.

Coppell scored one more goal midway through the second half before Central was able to answer back with a goal of their own off of a corner kick.

“The girls weren’t as confident in the air,” Coach Stricker said, ”It was a little disappointing that we let their best scorer score because that is who we should focus on.”

Overall though the Cowgirls had no problem keeping Central away from scoring position, keeping the ball away from their own half of the field for the majority of the game.”

This game marks the end of the first round of district for the Cowgirls and after going 5-1-1 they are looking for improvement.

“The loss to Fossil Ridge was disappointing because it was a late goal,” Forward Tori Elgin said, “We’re just looking to finish our shots better and take away the other team’s opportunities.”

Coach Stricker also has hopes for improvement in the second half of district.

“We must compete for district, “ Stricker said, “We need to be able to score against the good teams and I’m looking for a 6-0-1 record in the second half.”