2012 Super Bowl set to be an exciting game

By John Loop

Snow and ice generated many cheering children last year around this time, but also caused trouble for the biggest event in sports, the Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers put on quite a show at Jerry-world, but this year’s game in Indianapolis is bound to be even better.

The matchup between the two most prolific offenses in football this season, the New York Giants and the New England Patriots, will be a game of defensive stops (or lack of them). The Patriots averaged over 32 points a game during the regular season, which means the Giants front seven, namely Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umeniyora and Justin Tuck, will have to put pressure on Tom Brady to have a chance at forcing them off the field. The Patriots, on the other hand, will continue to strengthen their postseason defense (14 points per game in the playoffs) to keep the Giants out of the game.

On the defensive side of the ball, the key for both teams will be how they respond to covering the teams’ top targeted wideouts. Though New England tight-end Rob Gronkowski was seen yesterday without a walking boot since he sustained a high ankle sprain in the AFC Championship game against the Ravens, his injury status remains day-to-day. Gronkowski is Brady’s go-to-guy, especially near the goal line. If he does play, the Giants will have to make sure they account for him on the field at all times. New England cornerbacks are being asked this weekend to cover Massachusetts’ own, Victor Cruz. Cruz has shredded the opposing defenses he’s faced so far (17 catches for 244 yards), the 49ers, Falcons and defending champion Packers. The Patriots will have to buckle down on him if they want to win.

A hopeful Patriots win will propel Brady to the top of the “Greatest Quarterback Ever” conversation. With all of the scrutiny surrounding Peyton Manning right now, the regime of top tier of elite quarterbacks is being thrown into chaos.  With luck, the game will probably come down to the last possession, but Eli Manning won’t work his magic to get it done, leaving his critics to question if he really is better than one Tony Romo.

Prediction: Patriots 27, Giants 23