Cowboy Gameday: For McBrides, coaching is all in the family

District 6-5A football: Hebron (3-3, 0-1) vs. Coppell (5-1, 0-1), 7:30 p.m. Friday at Buddy Echols Field

By Caitlin Conner

Although brothers Kirk and Joe McBride never got to play together during high school, they now stand together now on the sidelines at Coppell High School. Joe, the first year head coach, and Kirk, linebackers coach, are just one of the brother coaching combinations in high school football.

“It’s fairly common,” Kirk said. “I can’t think of any certain individuals off the top of my head but there’s a few brother coaching teams around.”

Joe and Kirk McBride played football at Lewisville High School before college, where Joe played linebacker at Texas Tech, but never played together due to an 11 year age difference. Kirk played center and Joe defensive linebacker. The two coached together at Frisco Liberty before coming to Coppell.

The two also have a third brother, Mike, who coaches football at district rival Hebron. Though Coppell and Hebron have always been competitive, Kirk says there is no sibling rivalry.

“I wouldn’t call it a rivalry,” Kirk said. “Obviously we want to win on Friday night and he wanted to come here and win as well but there’s such respect between the three of us I wouldn’t say that there’s a particular rivalry.”

Contrary to Kirk’s beliefs, Joe recognizes there is a good-natured sibling rivalry between the three brothers.

“Because we’re in the same district as Hebron, I think there is some rivalry,” Joe said. “We are all very competitive and hate to lose.”
Mike considered taking a job at CHS but eventually turned the offer down because his son and daughter both attend Hebron.

Coppell ISD Athletics Director John Crawford first hired Joe McBride, who then approached his brother about joining his coaching staff.

“The situation presented itself and it was an opportunity I didn’t want to pass up,” Kirk said. “Obviously coaching with my brother is ideal for a few different reasons but the main thing is that I know he’s a winner.”

In addition to seeing his brother every day, Kirk likes getting to see McBride’s wife and children more often than if he were on a different coaching staff. McBride appreciates his brother’s presence for his character.

“My favorite part of having him on staff is his loyalty and work ethic,” Joe said. “I know that I can trust him.”

Despite their similarities, the two brothers differ in coaching styles according to Joe.

“I’m much more mild mannered… he’s a red head so he is much more hot tempered,” Joe said.

Senior linebacker Josh Montgomery appreciates the McBride brother’s differences as well as their dedication to football.

“Both are pretty aggressive,” Montgomery said. “They want you to go 110 percent all the time and they have a passion for the game. They’re also straightforward; if you mess up, you’re going to hear about it.”

One thing Montgomery says they both share is their trademark catch phrase.

“They both say to hit someone in the mouth every play,” Montgomery said.