Henson named 2011-2012 CHS Teacher of the Year

Mrs. Henson walks out of her classroom suprised seeing a crowd outside her door to award her for Teacher of the Year. Photo by Rowan Khazendar.

By Sarah Police

During third period on Wednesday, a group of approximately 50 people followed Principal Mike Jasso to the English hall. Jasso was accompanied by several assistant principals, teachers and counselors.

Jasso finally stopped outside English teacher Tracy Henson’s room and opened the door. There were several students that filled the crowded hallway and when Henson finally stepped out everybody was congratulating her.

“It is my pleasure to award you teacher of the year,” Jasso said.

She was awarded a bouquet of flowers, a cowboy hat and a certificate. Henson appeared shocked but the smile never left her face.

“Thank you guys very much,” Henson said. “This is such a great place to work and there are such great kids. There is a presence of greatness.”

Henson, a graduate of CHS, has worked as an English teacher for nine years.

“She really helps everyone and is trying to make the class as helpful as possible for the AP test,” junior Alex Hernandez said.

Henson’s colleagues are excited about her recognition.

“She is outstanding, innovative, and she is willing to push her sleeves up,” English teacher Kim Pearce said. “She will do the work and plan the schedule and coordinate with all team members.”